DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCH 3
• Child rearing styles
Permissive – spoiled kids. No Authoritative
limits on kids.
Uninvolved – uncaring of the Authoritarian – my parents
children. “kids will be kids, they’ll
figure it out”
• Helicopter parenting
o Pays too close attention to child’s experience and problems.
o Kids less satisfied, more anxious and narcissistic, lack coping skills
• Temperament is a moderator between corporal punishment and behavior
• If you’re high in authoritative parenting, CP does not affect conduct
problems. If you’re low in authoritative parenting, higher CP will lead to
higher conduct problems
• For Thailand, it’s a lot worse for parents to use CP because it’s not in the
• Changes (siblings, developmental age)
• Uninvolved is not necessarily neglectful
• Best/worst parenting styles?
o Best is authoritative o Sometimes differs among cultures
• Externalizing (Acting out) – behavior problems, conduct problems
• Internalizing – becoming anxious or depressed
• Psychological control focuses on the extent to which parents constrain
children’s autonomy and self expression through psychologically
manipulative and authoritarian tactics such as the withdrawal of love or
inducing guilt in children
• Authoritative parenting good for European American children, but actually
less effective in affecting academic achievement for Asian American
• Authoritarian parenting is a western notion and does not accurately
capture Chinese parenting styles, while strict is not negative
• Animal models have demonstrated that maternal behavior acts on the
o In humans, touch reduces infant’s physiological reactivity to stress
Mean age of 2
• Maternal psychological control was measured using subscales of love
withdrawal, guilt induction
o Chinese children have higher levels of cortisol, and have higher
levels of psychological control
o Culture predicts stress response. So then does culture moderate?
NO IT DOESN'T! which means that the affect is the same.
o Does maternal psychological control mediate cultural differences in
Notes on interpreting findings
• Self report can be a problem
o No parent says theyre actually a bad parent
o Some parents would say theyre not as strict as they actually are
• There are ALWAYS individual differences o When we talk about research findings, we look at the whole and not
the individual. Interested in averages
PC and stress
• Cultural differences in maternal psychological control.
• Results: Chinese parents score higher on psychological control than
o Does culture moderate? Nooooooooo. Doesn't matter what culture
youpre from, psychological control is bad for you because it
• Does psychological control mediate cultural differences in stress?
o Culture does predict levels of stress
o Psychological control as a mediator
• YERKES-DODSON LAW – a little stress may be beneficial
CAN PARENTING INFLUENCE COGNITION?
• Measured allostatic load
• Measured maternal responsiveness
• Measured working memory
• Allostatic load is associated with lower working me