Psychological & Brain Sciences
Course
CAS PS 251
Professor
David Shim
Semester
Fall

Description
PS251, Lec 4, Final:  12/04/2013 Albert Ellis and Rational Emotive Therapy:  Rational Emotive Therapy: There are 3 musts that hold us back: I must do well, You must treat me  well, and the world must be easy. Consequences of this negative thinking.  Not only are the behaviors important but the thoughts and feelings go together (schema).  Behaviorism psychologists: Pavlov, Watson, Thorndike, Skinner ­learned through experience with the environment ­directly observable and measurable (operational definition according to Skinner) RET – Ellis (forerunner to CBT) CBT – Beck, Meichenbaum, Linehan Social Cognitive/Learning ­ Bandura Alber Ellis:  Past is not as important as present “cognitions” “Simple exclamatory sentences (a.k.a. “self talk”)  if irrational, results in negative feelings  External event A occurs – internal statement B will occur (realm of CBT) EX: set up a scenario – get to source of irrational thoughts Pre­cursor to CBT, DBT (dialectic – irreverence) List of cognitive distortion: called the “should” distortion. The minute you use the word should, you  imply failure. Ex. I must drink V8 means I fail at eating veggies.  Thoughts have emotional consequences.  Dialectic: Not taking everything so seriously.  Believe an internal statement will automatically happen. Realm of CBT.  No matter how much insight the patient has, rarely has an effect on behavior.  If you can help people challenge their irrational thoughts, they feel better.  Basic Concepts:  1. Potential to be rational as well as irrational. Need to bring rational side to counter irrational thoughts.  2. Thinking irrationally is frequently exacerbated by the culture and the family group. Some people don’t talk  about their problems. Can make irrationality worse.  3. Humans tend to perceive, think, emote, and behave simultaneously. Make you jump to wrong  conclusions.  4. Focus of treatment is highly cognitive, active­directive, HW assigning, & discipline­oriented. You grow  from painful experiences.  5. A warm relationship between counselor &counselee is not a necessary or sufficient condition for effective  personality change. Remember story of guy who wanted to marry everyone he had a relationship with.  6. Multi­modal approach: to assessment and treatment: we have to do a lot of behavioral techniques  and suggestions, roleplaying to help treat the behavior.   7. Virtually all serious emotional problems directly stem from mag
More Less

Related notes for CAS PS 251

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit