Sociology
Course
CAS SO 207
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Pages 104-112 • The Creation of Slavery in the United States o Noel Hypothesis for why blackAfricans were enslaved instead of white indentured servants orA.I.  All three were objects of ethnocentric feelings on part of dominant colonial group: • Black Africans andA.I. had different religious and racial grounds and indentured servants were usually Catholics (not protestant) or criminals  Competition existed • A.I. vs. Colonial: Land (direct competition) • Indentured servants (white and black) vs. Colonial: labor force for landowners (indirect competition)  Differential in power • Balance in power between Colonists and A.I. was even • White indentured servants had advantage of being preferred over black which gave them bargaining power for better treatment • Black Africans were a colonized group and had no bargaining power and no safe havens (no relatives, knowledge of countryside, etc.) • Paternalistic Relations o The nature of inter-group relations will reflect the characteristics of the larger society o Small elite class and plantation-based economy led to paternalism characterized by vast power differentials, repressive system of control over minority group, caste-like barriers between groups, elaborate and highly stylized codes of behavior/communication between groups, and low rates of overt conflict. o To control labor of their slaves, plantation elite designed a system of laws and customs to give masters total legal power. In these laws, slaves were defined as chattel, or personal property.  Thus slaves had no rights (could only testify in court against another slave but that is it)—masters had legal authority over everything  Slaves forbidden by law to read or write and marriages were not legally recognized o Slavery was a caste system (a closed stratification system—ascribed social status)  Interactions between members of dominant and minority groups in a paternalistic system are governed by rigid, strictly enforced code of etiquette. • Slaves had to display they were of a lower status in order to not threaten power and status differentials • Many owners were polite to their slaves when they both followed the system so slaves came to hate the system more than their owners o Powerlessness in slaves and little way to defy system without being beaten or killed  Nat Turner led an uprising, killing 57 whites and >100 slaves died in armed encounter at state militia, Nat Turner and 13 others later executed, the result of this was greater oppression and control by the dominant group • This shows how little power slaves have in revolting due to the system)  Others were successful, runaway slaves, some received help from Underground Railroad, supported by blacks and whites involved in abolitionism (movement to abolish slavery)  Others used open rebellion in the forms of resistance (intentional carelessness, work slowdowns, sabotage, dragging their feet, etc.) o Slaves both resisted slavery and accommodated to it to maintain family and their lives • The Dimensions of Minority Group Stat
More Less

Related notes for CAS SO 207

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit