Diarrhea- #2 killer of child
Guinea Worm Disease
Survival of the “ﬁttest”- Reproductive Success
⁃ natural selection - environmental “Choose”
⁃ Random mutation- selection of the traits that foster successful reproduction
⁃ no Master Plan- guiding Design
Genetic Diversity- inside species
Species diversity: in an area
Ecologic Diversity: high diversity
environmental science: an interdisciplinary study of how humans interact with the living
and nonliving parts of their environment.
ecology: the biological science the studies how organisms interact wth one another
and with their environment.
environmentalism: a social movement dedicated to protecting the earth’s life-support
systems for all forms of life.
3 scientiﬁc principles of sustainability:
0. Reliance on solar energy- the sun warms the planet and provides energy that
plants use to produce nutrients. The sun also power indirect forms of solar energy such
as wind, ﬂowing water, which could not exist without solar energy.
0. Biodiversity: the variety of genes, organisms, species, and ecosystems in
which organisms exist and interact. the interactions between species, especially the feeding relationships, provide vital natural services, including natural limits that keep
any population from growing too large.
3 goals of environmental science:
0. to learn how life on the earth has survived and thrived
0. to understand how we interact with the environment
0. to ﬁnd ways to deal with environmental problems and live more sustainably
Natural Capital = natural resources + ecosystem services
3 Social Science principles of sustainability: