Study Guides (234,578)
United States (117,860)
PKSC 1020 (8)
Study Guide

[PKSC 1020] - Final Exam Guide - Everything you need to kno..
[PKSC 1020] - Final Exam Guide - Everything you need to know! (35 pages long)

35 Pages
Unlock Document

School
Clemson University
Department
Packaging Science
Course
PKSC 1020
Professor
Heather Batt
Semester
Spring

Description
[PKSC 1020] Comprehensive Final Exam guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com HISTORY OF PACKAGING – PKSC 1020 1. DEFINITION OF PACKAGING A. It is a field that involves the use of materials, methods, and machinery (the three M’s) to develop and produce the packages that protect and preserve a product, help market the product and instruct the consumer in its proper use” 2. EARLIEST PACKAGING A. Consider what life was like in ancient days B. Packaging provided simple function of containment i. Ex. Woven grass baskets, shells, wooden bowls, animal hides and skins C. Notable developments in Ancient Man-made Packages (be able to put these on a timeline) i. 3000 B.C. Egyptins learned to blow and cast glass ii. 105 A.D. paper invented in China iii. c. 1500 Cork Stopper used for bottles such as wine (First evidence of protective packaging) 1. helps protect liquid from bacteria iv. next major developments occurred during Industrial Revolution D. Notable Developments During the Industrial Revolution i. 1809 – Nicholas Appert – canning process ii. 1810 – Peter Durand – develops “tin canister iii. 1868 - John Hyatt – patent for colloid, leading to the development of cellulose, first “plastic”. iv. 1877 – Quaker Oats first used the “Quaker Man” to represent their product v. 1895 – Toothpaste first offered in tubes 1. first option of convenience packages vi. 1897 – first major use of paperboard for National Biscuit Company “Uneeda” Biscuit product vii. late 1800 – early 1900’s  first major use of graphics to help sell the product E. End of Industrial Revolution and Around WWII i. Movement from bulk packaging to retail packaging ii. Illustrates how social changes interact with packaging developments iii. 1930 – polyethylene discovered in England, eventually one of the most commonly used packaging plastics F. Late 20 Century Packaging find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less

Related notes for PKSC 1020

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit