Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 341
Professor
Timothy Tran
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Homework 9
Was food used as a reward? As a punishment? Was “comfort food” deployed to deal with negative
emotions? Were students required to clean their plates? What other aspects of eating, exercise, and body
image consciousness were taught in their families? How many of their current beliefs and practices have
their origins in their family interactions? Do ideas about food, eating, and body image described by other
class members sound strange? How resistant to change are these ideas?
- In my opinion, food can be a reward but sometimes it can be used as a punishment. However, if parents
used food as the need to comfort their children would lead to develop a negative emotion. In addition,
students should need to wash their dishes. I think the practice of forcing children to clean their plates as a
punishment for bad behavior can encourage them to develop bad habits such as eating when they are not
hungry. I can also lead to a distaste for those nutritious foods they are being forced to eat. Developing the
way to examine their own attitudes, beliefs, prejudices and behaviors about food, weight body image,
physical appearance, health and exercise. Identify any unhealthy attitudes in your everyday life. Problem
of changing food habits cut across ordinary discipline lines, in addition to involving contributions from
both pure and plied sciences. There is a mass of literature and recorded experimentation on many aspects
of the problem, ranging from studies of soil agronomy which illuminate the question of whether the habit
of eating locally grown food is or not the most nutritionally valuable behavior, through data on the
content of diets, data on the relationship between purchasing power and diet, etc.
1. In general, what are your recollections about how food and eating were approached in your family
while you were growing up?
- I think everyone has childhood memories of family meals ranging from holiday gathering to the
ordinary breakfasts, lunches and dinner served around the kitchen table. Therefore, from pleasant
conversation to painful tension and arguments, family meals run the full emotional memories gamut.
Without realizing it, these emotional memories, associated with both the food you ate and the atmosphere
in which you ate it, have become part of your adult sense of self. For instance, the image of my family
dinner is not faded in my mind even I am now living far apart. I always miss the moments when my
family members gather around the table. In my cultural, in our diner, we need rice as the main dish, so I
think it effect on my eating habit until now. I always have rice in every meal and always feel
uncomfortable when I am not having rice for my meal.
2. Was food used as a reward? As a punishment?
- I think there are more drawbacks to disciplining with food. Offering treats as rewards can also lead to
cavities and weight gain. When sweets or chips are given as a reward, they may become more appealing.
This leads children to develop a preference for them instead of healthier foods with nutritional value.
Moreover, using food as a reward or as punishment, however, can undermine the healthy eating habits
that you are trying to teach your children. Giving sweets, chips, or soda as a reward often leads to children
overeating foods that are high in sugar, fat and empty calories. Worse, it interferes with kids’ natural
ability to regulate their eating, it also encourages them to eat when they’re not hungry to reward
themselves.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version