CJE3110 Exam 1 Study Guide.pdf

11 Pages
Unlock Document

Florida State University
Criminology and Criminal Justice
CJE 3110

Chapter 1 1/26/14 9:02 PM Doerner Exam 1 Review- Chapter 1 1. Why is social order important? a. It is necessary in order to keep people in control and maintain a fair and just society 2. Consensus viewpoint a. Commonly held set of beliefs and values b. Social control maintained by shunning and punishing those who don’t oblige to set societal norms 3. Conflict perspective a. Due to power and coercion b. Control is maintained by a small minority group setting laws and punishments to those who do not follow their rules. They manipulate the system to their advantage 4. Norms a. Standards for how people should behave 5. Folkways a. Pertain to behavioral expectations that deal with minor norms i. Not holding the door for someone, not leaving tips ii. Violation of folkway usually deals with generally mild sanctions 6. Mores a. Normative standards that that evoke strong reactions if violated i. Incest, murder, cannibalism 7. Deviant behavior a. Any action that exceeds social tolerance levels or oversteps the boundaries established by the folkways and mores 8. Informal social control a. Set by people to reward or sanction behaviors i. Includes dean’s list and such ii. Gossip, ostricism 9. Formal Social Control system a. Refers to statutes, legislative initiatives,, ect. i. Criminal justice system 10. Gemeinschaft a. Describes small network of persons who interact with eachother in primary relations i. More close and personal than gesellschaft 11. Gesellschaft a. Social interaction that takes place in secondary relationships 12. Primary relationship a. Ability of people to behave in a close and intimate way 13. Secondary relationship a. Social discourse between strangers or people who do not share a very close bond b. Modern society “hustle and bustle” 14. Anomie a. lack of the usual social or ethical standards in an individual or group. b. “the state of Normlessness” 15. Benefits from Gemeinschift to Gessellschaft? a. Expanded division of labor, diversity, more skilled labor 16. Tun a. Little villages that people farmed in 17. Tithing a. Units within tuns consisting of tens families b. Formal method of social control 18. Mutual pledge system a.  establishes  an  organized  system  of  community  self-­‐responsibility  in  which  people  pledge   to  help  protect  their  neighbors   19. Hundred a. Consisted of ten tithing’s 20. Hue and cry a. Chief Tithingman rounded up all the members to look for a wayward invidividual who became errant 21. Shire a. Hundreds grouped together 22. Reeve a. President of a village or town council 23. Shire-reeve a. Forerunner of the sheriff 24. Night watch system a. Townspeople took turns watching over the city and guarding the gates against unwanted intruders. If there were an intruder or a fire they would sound the alarm and awake the citizenry to mobilize the threat 25. Statute of Winchester in 1285 a. Established the office of the parish constable 26. Entrepreneural avocational policing a. Private citizens perform law enforcement taks on a part time basis and get paid for their productivity 27. Thief hunters a. Bounty hunters i. Soon began to seek rewards for lying about and framing innocent people 28. Robert Peel a. Father of modern policing i. Chief of London police force 29. Robert Peels principles for polcing a. The police must be stable, sufficient, and organized along military lines b. The police must be under governmental control c. The absence of crime will best prove the efficiency of the police d. The distribution of crime news is essential e. The deployment of police strength by time and area is essential f. No quality is more indispensable to a policeman than a perfect command of tempter, a quiet determined manner hasa more effect than violent action g. Good appearance commands respect h. The securing and training of propers persons is at root of efficieny i. Public security demans that every police officer be given a number j. Police headquarters should be centrally located and easily accessible to the people k. Policemen should be hired on a probationary basis l. Police records are necessary to the correct distribution of police strength 30. 3 major issues from Robert Peeles Bobbies- a. No firearms b. Whether or not militaristic style uniform was overly intimidating or trusting and symbolic c. Activities that would occupy the attention of the officers. Go out and about in the public view 31. Vigilantism a. People take the law into their own hands in order to regain control and to secure values hat they think are appropriate b. Social constructive model- i. Vigilantisms arising from genuine concern over social tranquility c. Destructive Model i. “nothing more than elevated instances of lynch mobs” 1. KKK, Nazis d. What caused the need for more private security? i. Unavailability of effective law enforcement created a demand for specialized protection Chapter 2 1/26/14 9:02 PM Problems from the Wickersham Commission • Use of coercive tactics • Policing in exchange for political favors (rank-and-file employees) • Brawn v. brains issue • 75% of police did not have mentality to perform their duty • No training during job • Raise entrance standards • Lack of communication Third Degree • Use of coercive tactics in an effort to force unwilling people to make self-incriminatory remarks involuntarily Wickersham on selection and hiring process • Too much reliance on brawn as opposed to intelligence • More job training Shortcomings in police training in Wickersham Commission • Didn’t check if they knew how to shoot a gun • Placed officers on the street without any training at all Technological issues from the Wickersham commission • Communications with sirens and lights for offices to go to station for calls o Need for radio and such Shortcommings in police personel in the 1967 presidents police commission? • Rude and sometimes hostile relationship with citizens • Tension between poor and minority • Need for better educated officers • Need for more diversity How would the community service officer proposal formulated by the 1967 Presidents Commission address personnel problems within law enforcement? • CSO- youthful person between 17-21 • Responsible for social services such as juvenile liasons, neighborhood centers, community image builder Racial tensions from Kerner Report • Need to be more sensitive to problems and frustrations of “ghetto lifestyle” • Police brutality and harassment on minorities Recommendations from Kerner Report • Establish a review board that was independent of the police agency • Deploy sufficient police presence in the “ghetto” areas. • Police riot • Police do not arrest people whom they excerpted force upon • Police do not file a report after destroying or damaging property in the line of duty National Advisory Commission on Criminal Justice on standards and goals issues with respect to combating the crime problem • The prevention of Juveinile delinquency • Improved delivery of social services • Streamlining the criminal justice process • Increasing citizen participation in crime control strategies • Better police-community relationships • More civilianization • More training • Two way radios in patrol cars • More experience in police administrators What did the Knapp commission do? • Investigated corruption, usually “strikingly similar in patterns” • Meet eaters • Officer who activily looks for opportunities to extort money from participants of illegal enterprises Grass eater- • Does not search out payoffs. However, he/she would not pass up
More Less

Related notes for CJE 3110

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.