Psychology
Course
SOP 3004
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
I) Is common sense enough? A) Hindsight bias: “I knew it all along”; after the fact, you exaggerate your ability to have predicted  the outcome prior to the event  II) Bias in research A) As scientists, we aim to be objective seekers of knowledge; otherwise, we could say whatever we  wanted; scientists are human, they will always have opinions; you can try to eliminate it as much  as possible but they’ll always still be there B) It’s important to understand research methods to be able to evaluate research III) Scientific method A) Hypothesis­ testable prediction that can be tested with variables  B) Theory­ Set of principles that explains and predicts events; much broader than a hypothesis,  guides a hypothesis  IV) How do we study social psychology? A) Correlational research­ general information about the relationship between 2 variables  1) Goal: Understand how variables are associated with one another 2) As one variable increases, the other changes as well (when both increase=positive, when one  increases and one decreases=negative, random=no correlation) 3) Just simply ask participants  4) Correlation DOES NOT equal causation ( a > c, c > b) B) Experimental research 1) 2 key features:  (1) Control­ manipulation of the independent variable; all other variables are kept constant (2) Random assignment of representative sample of participants 2) Does determine causation 3) Operational definitions (the way you define your variable so that it’s observable and  measurable) are important! Some constructs are easier to define than others; what is  “aggression”?  C) Reliability: consistency in results across items (“how aggressive are you?”, “how violent are  you?”, “how much do you want to hurt me?”); some things are designed to be reliable acr
More Less

Related notes for SOP 3004

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit