Psychology
Course
SOP 3004
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
1. What is social psychology? a. How people think about, influence, and relate to one another; how people think, feel,  and act b. Social psychologists care more about the individual than the general population;  social  psychology takes the ideals from the other fields and tailors them towards the  social aspects (changes over time) 2. The Power of the Situation a. “We cannot be distinguished from our situations, for they form us and decide our  possibilities.” –Jean­Paul Sarte b. Ex. Cinderella: with her step­mother and step­sisters, she’s helpless and does what  she’s told but with her fairy god mother, she’s a princess and lives happily ever after;  same woman, different situation 3. Person x Situation Interaction a. The combination of the personality and the situation creates the behavior; looking at  the personality variable itself or the situation variable itself, it will always remain  constant; combined together, they may change  4. History of Social Psych a. Sparked interest in social behavior in early 20th century i. Great Depression­ little clothing, food, resources, etc.; lots of conflict  ii. World War II­ study behaviors of how common, every day people could be  willing to be Nazi’s and do these terrible things (BIG EVENT) iii. Civil rights movement­ prejudice towards blacks and women; if there’s a  group that everyone hates, it’s not considered prejudice; once it was  considered a prejudice, people started studying it 5. Common themes a.  We construct our reality  i. We intentionally choose the information we like; we remember the  information/ behavior/etc depending on what confirms our beliefs and forget  those that disprove our beliefs b.  We have duplex minds that enable intuitions  i. Automatic and nonconscious vs. controlled and conscious; a lot goes on that  we are unaware of 1. Cocktail party effect ii. Nonconscious things can affect the decisions we make and we won’t even  realize it; determines different things than ou
More Less

Related notes for SOP 3004

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit