Psychology
Course
SOP 3004
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Attitudes  Attitude: a favorable, unfavorable, indifferent, or ambivalent evaluative reaction toward  something or someone • “I like dogs” • “I don’t like birds” • “I like learning but I don’t like doing homework”  How are attitudes different from beliefs? • Her name is Emma (belief), I love her (attitude)  Where do attitudes come from? • Affect → From affect and emotions to attitudes; evaluative reaction based off of favorable or  unfavorable reaction → Mere exposure effect: favorability increases with greater exposure; the more you’re  exposed to something, the more you like it ⇒ Develop a pleasant association with stimulus ⇒ Zajonc (1968) – Chinese character study • Subliminal exposure to novel characters; the ones that they were shown (even  without knowing it) were the ones they picked • Cognition → Attitudes based on beliefs about the properties of an attitude object  → People like information that is easier to process­ whatever comes to your mind easiest is  what you prefer → If it’s easy to process, people form more positive attitudes toward it ⇒ People like it more ⇒ They think it’s true ⇒ They think it’s easier → Rhyimg proverbs is easier to process and so it must be true ⇒ “Being apart is bad for the heart” – 81% agree ⇒ “Being apart is bad for the relationship” – less agreed • Behavior → An attitude based on observations of how one behaves toward an attitude object → Self­perception theory: people don’t know how they feel until they see how they behave → Behavioral Attitude Formation ⇒ Classical Conditioning  • Pair something we already like or dislike with something neutral → Learn association ⇒ Previously neutral stimulus is associated with good or bad feelings  ⇒ Operant Conditioning • Develop a positive attitude toward behaviors that are rewarded  → Ex­ receive praise for high grades ⇒ More positive attitude toward high grades  ⇒ Social Learning • Learn attitudes through observation → Ex­ you see other people having fun playing a game; you think that you might  like it too  Consequences of Attitudes • Lord, Ross, and Lepper (1979) → Participants were extremely pro­ or anti­ capital punishment → Read 2 studies (one pro­ and one anti­) → They only became MORE in favor of their initial stance, looking only at the information  that went along with their prior opinion  → Attitude polarization: attitudes become more extreme by convincing ourselves they are  right  • LaPierce (1934) → Traveled with an Asian couple; expected anti­Asian attitudes would produce  discrimination, yet the vast majority of hotels allowed them to stay; wrote hotels months  later, asking if they would accommodate Asians? 90% said “no”  • Wicker – meta­analysis  → There’s little influence of attitudes on behavior   When do attitudes affect behavior? • Regan & Fazio → Housing crisis at Cornell → Some students in permanent housing vs. some in temporary housing → Both groups had negative attitudes toward housing crisis → Did they act on it? Only those in temporary housing – it affected them personally; vested  interest  • Fazio and Williams → 1984 election (Reagan vs. Mondale) → Measured how quickly people rated candidates and then looked at who they actually  voted for; the more quickly you were able to respond, the more accessible the attitudes  are, the more it will be able to predict your behavior  • When the attitude is strong → Vested interest → Accessible • Measured at the same level of specificity – when you want to know about a specific attitude,  learn about a specific behavior  • Other influences on behavior minimized   Measuring attitudes • Dual Attitudes → Explicit attitudes­ controlled and conscious evaluative responses “I like dogs” → Implicit attitudes – automatic and nonconscious evaluative responses  ⇒ Measured by: reaction time, accuracy ⇒ IAT ⇒ GNAT • Only hit spacebar when see positive words paired with black faces  ⇒ Priming • Flash picture of Obama
More Less

Related notes for SOP 3004

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit