[SOCI 1101] - Final Exam Guide - Everything you need to know! (27 pages long)

134 views27 pages
29 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Chapter 1: taking a new look at a familiar world. Individualistic explanation: attributing people"s achievements and disappointments to their personal qualities. Example- i got fired from my job because i did not have the skills needed to do the task. This example illustrates how i focus my disappointment (losing my job) on my lack of skill. Using a sociological imagination, i could explain that i lost my job because there were too many people working there and i happened to a person that got laid off. To understand personal experiences in life one must look beyond their personal attributes and qualities, and look towards broad societal characteristics. Auguste connte (1838)-sociology: the systematic study of human societies: wright mills (1959)-sociological imagination: the ability to see the impact of larges forces on our private lives. The task of sociology is to help us view our lives as intersection between personal biography and societal history in order to interpret our social circumstances.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers