ANTH-A 107 Study Guide - Final Guide: Social Business, Nonverbal Communication, Symbolic Capital

59 views2 pages
18 May 2018
School
Department
Professor
Lecture before exam
Which is an example of a focused interaction
o Passing strangers in a hallway
o Notiig a eigho’s e haido
o Playing poker
o Reading a newspaper over a fellow bus riders shoulder
Eckert says that jocks and burnouts develop so as to provide contrast with each other in their
values, behavior and symbols. Which is one example that supports this statement?
o Burnouts smoke in doorways, stairwells, and loading docs suggesting their marginal
place in the school, while jocks embraced the facilities the school offer
Why during her research did Bucholz have the high school students draw and label maps?
o To understand how the students imagine their social space.
Which of the following is an example of a Socratic exchange?
o A teacher repeatedly asking a student question so the student her ideas and rhetorical
skills
List 3 and discuss these articles that illustrate how people use verbal and non-verbal
ouiatio to aoplish soial usiess, ad talk aout hat sot of soial usiess is
being accomplished
o In simmons chapter about a girls volleyball team she mentions how females use face
saving communication to interact and build a stronger bond on their team. The social
business in this interaction is to be nice to each other to boost their teammates
relationship.
o Similarly, in Kuipers chapter about the new Zealand rugby team the author discusses
how the team uses a face threatening way to communicate which strengthens their
bond by constantly emasculating each other. The social business of this is that they are
all playing around with each other thus making them bond.
o Lastl, i Ga’s tet aout the LGBTQ ouit i Ketuk, she talks aout ho
these people will go to the local Walmart and drag around the store which shows their
values in a nonverbal way.
What is social capital? What counts as symbolic capital in your social group? Discuss why the
sols e selet ad displa hae eal life oseuees. Da o Peelope Eket’s sols
of atego eeship i ou disussio.
o Social capital is the way people interact with each other in a particular society, enabling
them to function together. In a social group the clothes we wear, the slang we use, and
the plaes e hag out all pla a ole i the soial apital of a goup. I Eket’s chapter
about symbols of category membership she talks about the jocks and burnouts and how
they differ largely. For the jocks they have their own way of dressing, places to hang out
and things they say. For the burnouts they function completely different by wanting to
distance themselves from the school.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

List 3 and discuss these articles that illustrate how people use verbal and non-verbal (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)u(cid:374)i(cid:272)atio(cid:374) to a(cid:272)(cid:272)o(cid:373)plish (cid:862)so(cid:272)ial (cid:271)usi(cid:374)ess(cid:863), a(cid:374)d talk a(cid:271)out (cid:449)hat so(cid:396)t of so(cid:272)ial (cid:271)usi(cid:374)ess is being accomplished. In simmons chapter about a girls volleyball team she mentions how females use face saving communication to interact and build a stronger bond on their team. Discuss why the s(cid:455)(cid:373)(cid:271)ols (cid:449)e sele(cid:272)t a(cid:374)d displa(cid:455) ha(cid:448)e (cid:396)eal life (cid:272)o(cid:374)se(cid:395)ue(cid:374)(cid:272)es. D(cid:396)a(cid:449) o(cid:374) pe(cid:374)elope e(cid:272)ke(cid:396)t"s (cid:862)s(cid:455)(cid:373)(cid:271)ols of (cid:272)atego(cid:396)(cid:455) (cid:373)e(cid:373)(cid:271)e(cid:396)ship(cid:863) i(cid:374) (cid:455)ou(cid:396) dis(cid:272)ussio(cid:374): social capital is the way people interact with each other in a particular society, enabling them to function together. In a social group the clothes we wear, the slang we use, and the pla(cid:272)es (cid:449)e ha(cid:374)g out all pla(cid:455) a (cid:396)ole i(cid:374) the so(cid:272)ial (cid:272)apital of a g(cid:396)oup. I(cid:374) e(cid:272)ke(cid:396)t"s chapter about symbols of category membership she talks about the jocks and burnouts and how they differ largely.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers