Department
Biological Sciences
Course Code
BIOL 1002
Professor
All
Study Guide
Midterm

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Topic list for Test 3 (Note: Underlined topics have been modified or added)
Chapter 23
The groups that make up the protostomes – Ecdysozoans: shed or molt exoskeleton
periodically (Arthropods & Nematods)/Lophotrochozoans: special feeding structure
called a lophophore (Platyhelmids, Annelids, Mollusks)
Body cavities
No Coelum
Psuedocoelum or “False” Coelum: body cavity not completely made of tissue from the
mesoderm
True Coelum: body cavity completely covered in tissue from the mesoderm
Identify the phylum by figure (diagrams). Annelida, Mollusca, Arthropoda, Nematoda,
and Echinodermata
This animal belongs to which group? (pictures) Annelida (Segmented Worms-Olys, Poly,
& Leeches), Mollusca (Gastropods-snails, Bavalvias-oysters, clams, scallops, & mussels,
Cephlapods-squids & octopuses), Arthropoda (Insects, Arachnids-spiders & ticks, &
Crustaseans-crawfish, crabs, shrimp, & lobsters), Nematoda (Roundworms-Trichella &
Heartworms), and Echinodermata (Sea stars, Sea urchins, & Sea cucumbers)
Identify phyla by their members . Annelida (Segmented Worms-Olys, Polys, & Leeches),
Mollusca (Gastropods-snails, Bivalves-oysters, clams, scallops, mussels, Cephlapods-
squids & octopuses), Arthropoda (Insects, Arachnids-spiders, ticks, Crustaceans-crawfish,
crabs, shrimp, & lobsters), Nematoda (Roudworms), and Echinodermata (Sea star, Sea
urchins, & Sea cucumbers)
Identify the phylum by characteristics: Annelida (segmented, closed circulatory system w
5 hearts, excretory system with pharynx & excretory flame cells, nephridia, true coelom),
Mollusca (marine, soft bodies w hard shell, ganglia, open circulatory system w hemocoel,
body plan w mantle & foot), Arthropoda (exoskeleton, compound eyes, respiratory
system w gills, book lungs, & a trachea, hemocoel, segmented w head, thorax, &
abdomen, go through metamorphisis), Nematoda (live in moist or aquatic environments,
psuedocoelom w hydrostatic skeleton, complete digestive system w a mouth & anus), and
Echinodermata (no cephalization, no segmentation, no excretory system, no circulatory
system, primitive nervous system, mairne, endoskeleton made of CaCO3,
spiral/determinate cleavage)
Protostomes: spiral/determinate cleavage (Ectotrophozoans & Lophotrophozoans) and
Deuterostomes: radial/indeterminate cleavage (Echnidoderms)
Chapter 24
Chordata characteristics
Cephalized
Segmented
Closed Circulatory System
Excretory System
Nervous System
Tunicates (sea squirts) and Lancelets characteristics (similarities and differences)
Invertebrates
The clades of the Chordata
Tunicates, Lancelets, & Crantiates
Hagfish and lamprey characteristics (similarities and differences)
Neither have vertebrae. Lamprey’s have jaw.
Diversity of fish (cartilaginous and bony), amphibians, and reptiles (characteristics)
Cartilaginous Fish-cartilage & jaws
Bony Fish (Ray-finned fishes, celocanths, & lung fishes): bones & jaws
Amphibians: live on land & in water
Reptiles: less reliant on water
Diversity of fish (cartilaginous and bony), amphibians, and reptiles (members)
Amphibians: frogs
Reptiles: snakes, lizards, birds
Mammals – characteristics, groups, members
Produce milk just in diff ways.
Montremes: found in Austrailia & New Guinea
Marcupials: have a pouch with nipples where animals grow and get milk
Placental (40% Rodents, 20% Bats): complete embryonic dev b4 birth
Tetrapods
Chapter 31
Homeostasis- what is it/ what does it do?

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Topic list for Test 3Note Underlined topics have been modified or addedChapter 23The groups that make up the protostomesEcdysozoans shed or molt exoskeleton periodically ArthropodsNematodsLophotrochozoans special feeding structure called a lophophore Platyhelmids Annelids MollusksBody cavitiesNo CoelumPsuedocoelum or False Coelum body cavity not completely made of tissue from the mesodermTrue Coelum body cavity completely covered in tissue from the mesodermIdentify the phylum by figure diagrams Annelida Mollusca Arthropoda Nematoda and EchinodermataThis animal belongs to which group pictures Annelida Segmented WormsOlys PolyLeeches Mollusca Gastropodssnails Bavalviasoysters clams scallopsmussels Cephlapodssquidsoctopuses Arthropoda Insects ArachnidsspidersticksCrustaseanscrawfish crabs shrimplobsters Nematoda RoundwormsTrichellaHeartworms and Echinodermata Sea stars Sea urchinsSea cucumbersIdentify phyla by their membersAnnelida Segmented WormsOlys PolysLeeches Mollusca Gastropodssnails Bivalvesoysters clams scallops mussels Cephlapodssquidsoctopuses Arthropoda Insects Arachnidsspiders ticks Crustaceanscrawfish crabs shrimplobsters Nematoda Roudworms and Echinodermata Sea star Sea urchinsSea cucumbersIdentify the phylum by characteristics Annelida segmented closed circulatory system w 5 hearts excretory system with pharynxexcretory flame cells nephridia true coelom Mollusca marine soft bodies w hard shell ganglia open circulatory system w hemocoel body plan w mantlefoot Arthropoda exoskeleton compound eyes respiratory system w gills book lungsa trachea hemocoel segmented w head thoraxabdomen go through metamorphisis Nematoda live in moist or aquatic environments psuedocoelom w hydrostatic skeleton complete digestive system w a mouthanus and Echinodermata no cephalization no segmentation no excretory system no circulatory system primitive nervous system mairne endoskeleton made of CaCO3 spiraldeterminate cleavageProtostomes spiraldeterminate cleavage EctotrophozoansLophotrophozoans and Deuterostomes radialindeterminate cleavage EchnidodermsChapter 24Chordata characteristics
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit