Department
Child and Family Studies
Course Code
CFS 4052
Professor
P.Monroe
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Miya Tate RealClear Politics Assignment #3 for Thursday, September 12, 2019
I read or reviewed every assigned reading in this week’s Moodle block_______________ (your
signature)
I. Summary of the article
“In an Age of Policy Boldness, Think Tanks Have Become Timid” discussed the
experts’ smaller role in the Democratic Party. Candidates such as Bernie Sanders and
Elizabeth Warren seem like they good policy ideas that are based on facts, but the
“think tanks” refute that. But, as a result of having a smaller voice in the parties than
in previous years, most of the candidates nor party listens to them. Though the phrase
“think tank” was coined in 1958 and took its current connotation in the 1960s, the
institutions it describes date back to the early 20th century, a period when, as now,
America was grappling with runaway inequality and a ruthless, unchecked capitalism.
Early think tanks (such as Brookings, which traces its roots to 1916) were geared
toward overcoming partisan and class divides by offering putatively disinterested
expert analysis.
II. Critical analysis from a family policy perspective.
This article relates to the book we discussed in class, The Death of Expertise by Tom
Nichols. He argues in the book that experts are important in informing citizens on the
facts. Furthermore, Nichols expresses his concern with the downplay of experts,
saying it has contributed to the rise of the low information voter. According to the
author, low information voters share the same characteristic: a solipsistic and thin-
skinned insistence that every opinion be treated as truth. He expands to say that all
opinions are treated as truth (Nichols, 2017). In my opinion, Nichol’s concern of
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version