Psychology
Course
PSYC 3082
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
PSYC 3082 EXAM 2Chapter 4 Anxiety Disorderspg 117161Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Goal identify maladaptive ways to thinking and behaving and learning new more adaptive ways of thinking and behaving Techniques psychoeducation thought records challenging thoughts behavioral exposures behavioral experiments Length of Time Time limited usually 1220 sessionsIf they have more than one disorder dont do homework miss sessions etcit may take longerBased on behaviorists ex Watson view that focus of psychology should be observable behaviors later cognitive work strongly influenced by Beck and Ellis integrated Example Judy Beck talks about Cognitive Therapy Tackle multiple problems and how you should handle them proper thinking process etc When I feel overwhelmed in morning just get started with a couple of things rather than being overwhelmed by entire list of duties Several types of talk therapy cognitive therapy which refers to thinking Most depressed peoples have abnormal way of thinking or reasoning While driving could get catastrophic thoughts such as flat tire accident etc When feelings helpless what was going through mind It is all about way of thinking What did you notice about cognitive behavior therapy Teaching about how to analyze situationsBehaviorsCognitions thoughtsEmotionscycle Behavioral WorkExposuresFear hierarchy ex public speaking work your way up from bottom of hierarchy Ex Swim Lessons Start in shallow practice skills and then eventually get to deep end Not deep end first ReasonsOpportunity to perform behavioral experiments Opportunity to identify automatic thoughts sometimes dont realize it Opportunity to practice using rational responses Types systematic desensitization in vivo desensitization imaginal exposure floodingUnclear whether classical conditioning accounts for phobias or treatment gains Behavior activation ex no interest in going outside class etcHW is to make them go to class outside etc Behavioral experiments Cognitive Restructuring Identify automatic thoughts and the emotions they cause that contribute to mood anxiety etc Ex Guy hesitant to ask girl on date cause think she will laugh at me Examining the Thinking Errors in automatic thoughts Disputing Questions what are odds she will laugh Will you survive if she laughs at you Rational Response Cognitive Restructuring Automatic Thoughts Automatic thoughtsNegative or irrational thoughts about the self the world the futureIt is not the event themselves that make a person anxious but how one interprets the events Ch 5 Vignette of 2 men and mail woman Two heterosexual men in apartment complex Every time they get home from work see attractive female at mail box One says hey Im mike would you like to have dinner sometime She says no He thinks she hates me Im embarrassed Im going to have to move Bob does the same thing Asks woman out She says no He thinks maybe she is busy maybe she has to take care of thingsRejected in same way but both guys have different interpretations and ways of thinking Common misconceptions about ATs solution is to replace bad with good thoughtsShould suppress bad thoughts ex white bear Common Thinking ErrorsAll or nothing thinking also called black and white polarized or dichotomous thinking you view a situation in one of two categories instead of on a continuum Fortune telling you predict that something negative is going to happen in future as if you were gazing at crystal ball Catastrophizing you tell yourself the very worst is happening or is going to happen without considering other possibilities that may be more likely andor less negative Disqualifying or discounting the positive you unreasonably tell yourself that positive experiences deeds or qualities do not count Emotional reasoning you think something must be true because you feel actually believe it so strongly ignoring or discounting evidence to the contrary1PSYC 3082 EXAM 2Labeling you put fixed global label on yourself or others without considering that the evidence might more reasonably lead to a less disastrous conclusion Mental filter also called selective abstraction you pay undue attention to one negative detail instead of seeing whole picture Mind reading you believe you know what the others are thinking failing to consider other more likely possibilities and you make no effort to check it out Overgeneralization you make a sweeping negative conclusion that goes far beyond the current situation Should or must statement also called imperative you have a precise fixed idea of how you or others should behave and you overestimate how bad it is that these expectations are not metMaladaptive thoughtsproblematic thoughts that do not contain logical thinking errors thses thoughts may be true however dwelling on these thoughts make you feel more anxious and may interfere with performanceYOU DO NOT HAVE TO MEMORIZE THESE FOR INTEREST ONLY Disputing QuestionsDo I know certain that Am I 100 sure that What evidence do I have that What is the worst that could happen How bad is that How can I cope with that Do I have a crystal ballDoeshave to lead to or equal Rational ResponseStatement that summarizes or highlights key points discovered using disputing questions Shorthand reminder to stay focused and think more rationallyRepeat rational response to self with automatic thoughts arise A good rational response takes a positive or at least neutral viewA good RR is shortYou do not have to believe it at first repeat to self Ex Automatic thought is If I raise my hand in class I might missspeak and everyone will think I am stupidNegative outcomes labeling fortune telling and mind reading Rational response missspeaking doesnt mean I am stupid I could be hungover tired I am not stupid because I got into college the worst thing that could happen is people think I am stupid who cares It happens can I survive if people think thatI Complexity of Anxiety Disorders Class of disorders that includePanic disorder with or without Agoraphobia Generalized Anxiety Disorder GADSpecific PhobiasSocial Anxiety disorder SADsocial phobiaObsessive Compulsive Disorder OCDPostTraumatic Stress Disorder PTSDAcute Stress Disorder Differentiate from one another by feared stimulusA Anxiety Fear and Panic Some DefinitionsAnxiety future oriented response to perception of anticipated threat mood state characterized by marked negative affect and bodily symptoms of tension in which a person apprehensively anticipates future danger or misfortune may involve feelings behaviors and physiological responsesFear emotion of an immediate alarm reaction to present danger or lifethreatening emergencies perception of immediate threat Worry mental strategy used to avoid future danger Panic sudden overwhelming fright or terrorPanic Attack abrupt experience of intense fear or discomfort accompanied by several physical symptoms such as dizziness or heart palpitations Fear and anxiety involve physiological arousal Fear and anxiety are adaptiveEX They can help you avoid danger not put self in dangerous situations help prepare In Louisiana hurricane is coming Do we have flashlights water batteries evacuate etc Be prepared B Causes of Anxiety Disorders SG Theories regarding anxiety disorders 1 Biological Contributions 2
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3082

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit