SOCL 3601 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Charismatic Authority, Balance Theory, Code Of Law

56 views17 pages
18 Jun 2014
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Articles from actual newspapers (including tiger weekly) Put it into a scrapbook style folder (3-prong folder) Look at his hints and tips in semester book. Use different concepts (variety shows that you learned something) Power = the ability to get other people to do what you want them to do. Three different sources of power: control over resources = if i have something you need, then i can specify what i want from you in exchange, control over people = authority of the person, use of force. Traditional authority = authority based on the way things have always been: always under question (what if the king doesn"t have a son?) Charismatic authority = authority based on the exceptional personal characteristics of the leader: what happens when the leader dies/goes out of power. Rational-legal authority = authority set up by formal, legal documents and written laws of the society: legal code helps the transition between leaders in power (election code)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers