United States (119,677)
COM 240 (20)
All (14)

COM 240 Test 1 Notes

6 Pages
Unlock Document

Michigan State University
COM 240

TEST 1 I. Resumes – purpose is to get you noticed a. Resumes are often judged in a few seconds b. Look at your own resume, scan it . . . i. Would you interview you? c. On your resume you need to i. Share transferable skills and accomplishments (use action verbs) ii. But not a laundry list of everything you’ve done iii. See Career Passport (p. 26-33) d. Resume types i. Chronological – work history/time oriented 1. Outlines dates of employment (most recent first) 2. Works best for those with a progression of work experience 3. Generally preferred by employers ii. Functional – skills oriented 1. Works well if there are employment gaps, or lack of experience in relevant field 2. Format isn’t always well received e. How to decide what goes on your resume i. Statement of your brand? ii. What experience or skills do you have? 1. High School experience? iii. Jobs you were not at a long time? iv. Every job you have ever had? v. Sometimes great stuff doesn’t make it on, you might share it in the interview II. The Interview a. Be prepared i. Must research the company ii. Be able to “unpack” your experiences iii. Practice answering questions – answers need substances (situation, action, results, what did you learn?) iv. Generate questions to ask b. What do you think interviewers look for? i. Self-presentation ii. Articulation/thought process iii. Body language iv. Intelligence v. Experiences vi. Attitude vii. Fit c. Types of questions i. Situational ii. Skills/Abilities/Work Experience iii. Personal/Motivational/Career Goals iv. Activities outside academia v. Academic program – content knowledge vi. Knowledge of company III. Thank You Letters and Emails a. Always and send it immediately i. What does immediate mean? 1. Within 24 hours b. Highlight what was discussed, including what your skills, fit with the company are c. Reiterate continued interest d. Look forward to hearing from IV. Career Assignment a. One-page resume – due September 27 b. Reflection assignment on either a career fair or your mock interview – due October 9 (note, this is also the day of exam 1, so plan ahead) c. Complete career assignment preference sheet on Thursday, September 6 Systems and Networks I. Systems Approaches a. Parts of organization are inter-related and dependent on one another b. Organizations can act like living beings c. Spider vs. Starfish i. Spider Approach 1. Generally centralized body, central body with legs; cut off its head and it will die 2. Often, there’s a clear division of roles ii. Starfish Approach 1. Organization is distributed 2. The organization can still survive if you remove a unit 3. Power and knowledge are spread throughout iii. Your organization may be one or have elements of both d. Characteristics of Systems i. Patterned activities, working toward common goal ii. Parts are interdependent 1. Whole is greater than sum of parts iii. Hierarchical ordering 1. Super systems and sub systems iv. Permeability 1. “Things” move in and out of an organization e. System Processes and Properties i. Cycle 1. Input (importation of energy) 2. Throughput 3. Output ii. Information input (feedback) iii. Negative entropy – avoid deterioration and remain competitive iv. Equifinality – multiple means to same end v. Examples: Textbook Industry – publisher level, retail level, etc. f. Systems can be responsive as well as proactive. i. Systems need to consider stakeholders g. How People Communicate and Work Together i. The system seen through a company’s organizational chart 1. How is the chart similar or different to how people actually communicate? ii. How might companies “structure” or organize their employees? 1. Telecommuting, flextime, shared jobs? iii. In addition to an organizational chart, we can study an organization’s communication system by 1. Looking at how people are connected a. Mode – channel b. Density – number of interconnections c. Strength – time, frequency, importance d. Symmetry – same or different levels e. Uniplexity vs. Multiplexity – types of topics iv. More specifically, we can look at worker “roles” 1. Isolate: no connection to others 2. Group member: talks to others in group 3. Bridge: group member who also talks to others outside of group 4. Liaison: a person who connects groups, but is not a group member h. How do teams relate to all of this? i. Teams are prevalent in all organizations ii. Teams are systems iii. Many types of teams exist because of negative entropy, information input, equifinality, etc. i. Attributes of High Performance Teams i. Members are committed to goals ii. All members contribute iii. Team has environment of openness and professionalism iv. Diverse ideas welcome v. Members understand roles, responsibilities and expectations vi. Team can handle conflict without resentment vii. Uses consensus-decision making TEST 2 I. Culture a. When you think of organizational culture, what comes to mind? b. What type of culture do you want in the future workplace? i. Overall facility, office space, technology, dress, communication style, expected time at work, use of flex time, etc. c. How do we experience culture at MSU? i. What are the values? 1. School spirit, giving back/service, environmentally aware, research, academics, sports/athletics ii. What are the cultural artifacts? 1. School-specific shops, green everything 2. Cultural artifacts – how they present value d. Deal and Kennedy said, “You’ll have a strong culture if you have the following . . .” i. Values – beliefs/vision ii. Heroes – individuals who exemplify those beliefs iii. Rituals – ceremonies through
More Less

Related notes for COM 240

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.