Telecommunication
Course
TC 101
Professor
Jingbo Meng
Semester
Spring

Description
TC 401 MID-Term Study online quizlet.com/_m1qw3 48.Advantages of - Transcend geographical and temporal 15.Characteristics of - Social aggregations, collectives, Online Health constraints online community groups or networks of people Community - Greater access to diverse sources of - Dispersed geographically health information and experiences - Share interests/goals - Anonymity, less risk and - Provide support, information, embarrassment of disclosure of health friendship between strangers information 35.Companionship - Feel less lonely - Formulating disclosure of personal concerns and helping others have a 54.Computer-Mediated - Social presence theory therapeutic value by itself. Theory I - Media richness theory - Social information processing 17.Affordance - The quality of technology in support of theory goal-oriented behaviors - Hyperpersonal model - Properties of physical environments that support or constrain various forms of 51.Discussion questions - Factors that lead to Internet social actions for Health online addiction communities - How to help teenagers who are 18.Affordance of - Persistence addicted in Internet? online - Boundaries community - Engagement 56.Distance learning What would happen? - Authoring with social presence - Uninhibited theory - Hostile 22.Authoring - Participants are able to use and - Terse manipulate their space -Ambiguous - E.g., construct online personae 8. Bonding social - Social benefits that arise from close tie What would be lost? capital relationships - Immediacy - Emotional and social support - Salience - Tangible/material support - Real time - Financial loans 21.Engagement - Enables a variety of ways for 28.Bonding social - There is someone at MSU I can turn to engaging and interact with one capital on MSU for advice about making very important another in the shared space decisions - Community building - There are several people at MSU I trust - E.g., collective activities to solve my problems 34.Expressive - Present, share information 41.Bonding social - There are several people on Twitter I information sharing capital with trust to help solve my problems twitter - When I feel lonely, there are several 30.Facebook usage - > - Rationale: FB help individuals to bonding social maintain pre-existing close people on twitter I can talk to capital relationship 20.Boundaries - Establish through mutually understood 29.Facebook usage - > - FB lowers the barriers to initiating differentiation of units/groups/networks - E.g., username, community membership bridging social and maintaining communication capital and social relations 7. Bridging social - Derived from weak tie relationships - Low-maintenance way to keep tabs capital - Suited to information diffusion on distant acquaintances. - Heterogeneous networks 38.Features - Status updates 27.Bridging social - Interacting with people at MSU makes - Comments capital on MSU me feel like a part of a larger community - Wall posts - Interacting with people at MSU makes - Private messages me want to try new things - Chat - Groups 40.Bridging social - Interacting with people on twitter makes capital with me feel like part of a larger community Twitter - Interacting with people on twitter makes me want to try new things 50.Group Participation Chinese boot camps tackle Internet 47.Limitations - Limited relevant health experience and Discussion for addiction of offline knowledge Health online Basic background: social - Embarrassed or stressful to disclose communities - Internet Addiction Treatment networks personal health information to offline social Center ($1,290/month) networks - Internet cafes - Judgmental - 14-18 male: online games - Unrealistic expectation of recovery - Juvenile crime, suicides, and - Overprotection deaths form exhaustion by players - Emotional burden 43.Health online ... - Obligations communities 60.Media - The more ambiguous and uncertain a task richness is, the richer the format of media that it needs 62.Hyperpersonal Relationships can be more intimate theory - Goal: choose the right medium that suits model than if partners physically together - Sender: selective self-presentation the communication purpose - Receiver: Over-attribution of similarity 1. Overcome - Equivocality (more than one interpretation) - Channel: communicating on your own time - Uncertainty - Feedback: hyperpositive image, 2. Some media works between than other confirm idealized image media for certain tasks 57.Immediacy communication behaviors that could enhance the closeness to others, and Rich Media non-verbal interactions with others - Have Gestures 53.Interactivity and - Features of high interactivity are Lean Media user participation in correlated with increased brand communities community participation - No Gestures 44.Internet Addiction - Internet addiction is in the same 32.Motivations - Relaxing entertainment way of drug addiction, alcohol - Expressive information sharing - Companionship addiction - Result in academic, social and - Professional advancement - Social interaction occupational impairment - An impulse-control disorder 31.Motivations - Communication characteristics of Features 46.Internet Boot Camps - No internet accuses or Technology and usage of -One-to-one communication vs. One-to- - very strict social media many communication fe
More Less

Related notes for TC 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit