7 Pages
Fall 2013

Department
Chemistry
Course Code
CHEM 1320
Professor
Ganley

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Chapter 8: Periodic Relationships Among the Elements
10/25
Development of the Periodic Table
-Early chemists: chemical properties related to atomic mass
-Newlands: Law of octaves
>Didn’t work past Ca
-Mendeleev (and Meyer): grouped by properties
>D.M. predicted element properties
-Mosely: atomic # (Z)
>Z doesn’t always go with atomic mass
>Sorting by Z makes groups make sense
Electron Configuration
-Core elements
>Inner electrons
>Filled
-Valence electrons: outermost
>Likely to be involved in reactions
>Higher energy
Same valence configuration  similar properties
Periodic Law
Same group=same valence electron configuration
Example:
Group 2:
Be 2,2
Mg2,8,2
Ca 2,2,8,2
Are the following pairs of elements similar in chemical properties?
Examples:
Cl and Br? Yes
1s2 2s2 2p5 and [Ne] 3s2 3p4 No
1s1 2s2 2p2 and [Ne] 3s2 3p2 Yes
P and S No
S and O Yes
-Representative (1A-7A)
>Incomplete s or p
-Transition metals (1B, 3B-8B)
>Incomplete d
>Number=outer e-, except 8B
-2B (no name)
>Full s and d, empty p
-f-block (Lanthanides, Actinides)
>Incomplete f
-Noble gases (8A)
>Full s and p (except He)
Elements in Equations
-Metal: empirical formula
>Sn, Cu, Ag, Nb
-Non-metals: empirical or molecular
>Empirical: C, noble gases
>Molecular: H2, N2, O2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2, P4
>Either: S or S8
-Metalloids: empirical
>Sb, Te, Po
Representative Elements: Cations and Anions
Na [Ne]3s1 makes Na+ [Ne]
Ca [Ar]4s2 makes Ca2+ [Ar]
Al [Ne]32 3p1 makes Al3+ [Ne]

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 8: Periodic Relationships Among the Elements 10/25 Development of the Periodic Table ­Early chemists: chemical properties related to atomic mass ­Newlands: Law of octaves >Didn’t work past Ca ­Mendeleev  (and Meye: grouped by properties >D.M. predicted element properties ­Mosely: atomic # (Z) >Z doesn’t always go with atomic mass >Sorting by Z makes groups make sense Electron Configuration ­Core elements >Inner electrons >Filled ­Valence electrons: outermost >Likely to be involved in reactions >Higher energy Same valence configuration  ▯similar properties Periodic Law Same group=same valence electron configuration Example:  Group 2:  Be 2,2  Mg2,8,2  Ca 2,2,8,2 Are the following pairs of elements similar in chemical properties? Examples: Cl and Br? Yes  1s  2s  2p and [Ne] 3s  3p  No4 1 2 2 2 2 1s  2s  2p  and [Ne] 3s  3p  Yes P and S No S and O Yes ­Representative (1A­7A) >Incomplete s or p ­Transition metals (1B, 3B­8B) >Incomplete d >Number=outer e, except 8B ­2B (no name) >Full s and d, empty p ­f­block (Lanthanides, Actinides) >Incomplete f ­Noble gases (8A) >Full s and p (except He) Elements in Equations ­Metal: empirical formula >Sn, Cu, Ag, Nb ­Non­metals: empirical or molecular >Empirical: C, noble gases >Molecular: H , N2, O2, F 2 Cl2, Br2, I 2 P2 4 >Either: S or S 8 ­Metalloids: empirical >Sb, Te, Po Representative Elements: Cations and Anions 1 + Na [Ne]3s  makes Na  [Ne] Ca [Ar]4s  makes Ca  [Ar]2+ 2 1 3+ Al [Ne]3  3p  makes Al  [Ne] ^Lose electrons to get a noble­gas configuration 1 ­ 2 H 1s  makes H 1s  or [He] F 1s  2s  2p  makes F 1s  2s  2p  or [Ne] 2 2 4 2­ 2 2  6 O 1s  2s  2p  makes O  1s  2s 2p  or [Ne] N 1s  2s  2p  makes N  1s  2s  2p  or [Ne] ^Gain electrons to get a noble­gas configuration Na , Al , F, O , and N  are all isoelectronic with Ne What atom is isoelectronic with H? He ­ Transition Metals Cations ­Electrons are always removed first from the ns orbital and then  from the (n­1)d orbitals Examples: 2 6 2+ 6 3+ 5 Fe: [Ar]4s  3d  makes Fe : [Ar]3d  or Fe : [Ar] 3d Mn: [Ar]4s  3d  makes Mn : [Ar]3d 5 Effective nuclear charge (Z ef): “positive charge” felt by an outer  electron Z ef=Z­σ 0
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit