Human Development And Family Studies
Course
H_D_FS 1610
Professor
John Lester
Semester
Fall

Description
Test 4 Substance Abuse and Addiction I. What is it ­loss of control in many aspects of life (failing out of school, not able to work,  etc) ­ characterized by cravings (intense desire); craving itself can be almost as  intense as trip ­persistent use despite negative consequences ­tolerance and withdrawal symptoms—when substance has left body we still  have symptoms (hangover is technically withdrawal) II. Prevalence ­about 10% of population is seriously abusing or are addicts. True worldwide. ­28.7 million children live in an alcoholic home. Point is that this is all over the  world, not just the US. III. How it affects brain A. Two parts: 1. Limbic brain: survival, food, sleep, sex. Manages all autonomic functions  and balance. Gas pedal (shoots out adrenaline). 2. Cerebral cortex:  calms down/rationalizes after limbic brain releases  adrenaline. Consciousness, social judgments, emotional response. Rational  decisions.  B. Hedonic set­point: required in limbic brain in brainstem. Balance system.  “Pleasure system.” Equilibrium exists around a set point.  ­dysphoria and dopamine hormone hang in constant balance. Dopamine  surges with joy and good news. Substances make an intense, crazy, sharp  upwards slope in dopamine. The higher the slope, the more addictive the  substance.  C. Koep’s Theory: there must be substances present in the brain first; when there  are frequent and short bursts of dopamine in the brain, it causes addiction. Then  our brains have to work overtime to make dysphoric hormones like cortisol (lower  lows) to get back to equilibrium. To beat this low, people use again. D. McCauley’s Theory: when people have chronic, severe and unmanaged stress,  that also can mess our hedonic center; we don’t substances present first.  ­anhedonia: increased risk­taking about 1/3 of population will hope risks pass, 1/3 will do what they always  do, 1/3 will take more risks (those with risk taking genes) ­when this happens, drugs are tagged by our limbic brains as survival.  Drugs become a basic need. After using for so long, cerebral cortex just  goes black. Goodbye emotional response, future consequences. Everything  that hurts feels recent, and there’s no way to process it because cerebral  cortex is blacked out. IV. What affect does this have on relationships? A. same throughout the world. Relationships characterized by chaos and fear. No  longer predictable and safe. Entire family system reorganizes itself around addict  and addiction B. Black: Family Scripts and Roles 1. role of addict, role of enabler: person who allows it to happen; makes it  easier for them to do what they do. Because I love them most, I am most  able to take care of them. 2. family hero, scapegoat • relationships are also characterized by diffuse boundaries (when your boundary  completely overlaps with someone else’s. If you’re angry, I’m angry, and it’s my  job to fix it). C. mental and physical health problems follow relationship partners of addicts D. relationship characterized by thinking errors (illogical statements we make to  ourselves): I’ve been sober for a week! I deserve a beer. ­classic enabler thinking errors: If I love this person enough, they will get  over it. Only I can handle this. E. The marriage effect: after marriage their use declines. As individuals, once we  get married we have more responsibility, are forced to mature, have less time to  use. F. Gender differences in drug use: in general, people decline their use when  married, but women tend to be really influential to their mates (if woman doesn’t  use/uses less, rate of decline for man will be steeper, and vice verse) G. Use predicts negative martial outcomes: 1. heavy smoking/drinking is a risk factor for divorce 2. use discrepancy predicted marital dissatisfaction 3. heavy smoking in turn predicts early marriage 4. increased hostile behavior when man is alcoholic 5. likely to reinstate or increase use post divorce V. Best treatment ­the nest kinds of treatment need all these: a. individual desire b. family support/treatment c. groups (like AA) d. education e. regular and predictable support and accountability (like drug test every three  days) Power­ ability to influence others and resist others’ influence. Control of valuable  resource (or access to it). Whatever resource your partner desires. Not necessarily  negatice; mutual power­sharing is how a relationship works. I. influences on power A. dependency­ how dependent are we on this other person to get what  we want/need (money, sex, etc)? Traditional example is homemaker,  who is dependent on breadwinner. B. Alternatives­ you have more power if you have a high level of  alternatives. Not as dependent on that one person if you have other  places to go II. Principle of lesser interest: person with the least interest in the relationship  has the most power (why playing hard to get works to some extent).  III. Fate control v. Behavioral control (fate control= the other person’s fate is  completely in our hands, such as with the breadwinner and stay­at­home  mom example. Behavioral control= alter our behavior to control others).  IV. Types of power A. reward= do something pleasurable or take away something unpleasant.  Could be explicit (stated) or subconscious. B. Coercive= adding something unpleasant or taking away something  pleasant to get what you want. Can be anything from violence to  belittling and nagging. Unhelpful in relationships; parties are less  likely to compromise, engage and coordinate. C. Legitimate power= everyone agrees that this person has more power  than us (police officers etc). D. Referent= power because someone loves us. We can influence  someone else because they love us. 1. Goffman says that men who are more open to influence from their  wives because of referent power will have longer and happier  relationships. Not the same for women; they are pretty open to  men’s influence anyway E. Expert power= people who have more knowledge in a field have more  power than us (doctors) F. Informational power= someone having a specific piece of information  you need/want has power over you V. Mutual Power­sharing= most people in this country seek an egalitarian,  equal relationship but do not have it. A. yes we share power, but typically men have more power than women,  due to social norms, physical strength and size, economic power (due  to wage gap) B. a lot also has to do with children and transition to parenthood. We  don’t have time to negotiate new responsibilities so we slide into  traditional gender roles C. part of the reason we have a wage gap (women have more  discontinuous wage trajectory because of maternal leave. Also women  are not socialized to negotiate for raises). VI. Powerful people A. have asymmetrical body language, take up more space, look up when  they talk and away when they listen. Talk more directly, using  declarative sentences (“I want…” “The move is at…”). Someone with  less power is hesitant in their speech B. women speak more hesitantly when talking to another man, but not  other women (if women talk directly to a man they are considered cold  and a bitch). C. Nonverbal sensitivity­ people who are in high positions of power  aren’t as good at this as others  VII. Styles of power A. Direct v. Indirect 1. this is what I want. Here’s what I would like you to do differently.  (men, people in power, high in instrumentality, people in satisfied  relationships) 2. hint at what I want. Women, people in less power. B. Bilateral v. Unilateral 1. bilateral= both sides come together to work it out. Used more often  by people with high power who have less to risk
More Less

Related notes for H_D_FS 1610

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit