Exam 2.docx

13 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Missouri - Columbia

Sociology 3310: Unit 2 Outline Humor I. What is sociological about humor (jokes and funny stories told by people):  commonly viewed as product of individualism, but it’s more than that  A. Viktoroff: one never laughs alone; laughter is always the laughter of a  particular social group. It is a social activity because: 1. it is constructed through social interaction between speakers (or  writers) and audience 2. what is funny, when joking should happen and who has the right to  joke are all learned behaviors B. Humor may also be commonly viewed as trivial or unimportant because  by definition it is part of the “non­serious”; however just because joking  and the role of the joker aren’t supposed to be serious, it doesn’t mean  they don’t have a serious role in life II. Humor is a very flexible resource. Fine and De Soucy talk about the serious  role of humor in social life.  A. smoothing­ use humor to recover from and repair social interactions that  involve misunderstandings, disagreement, social norm violations,  breakdowns in conventional order and stigma  1. soothing and stigma­ Humor may ne a feature of moral career  (Goffman). Moral career=process of learning and incorporating the  identity beliefs of society by learning the standpoint of normal;  learning you possess a certain stigma and the consequences of this • example: managing embarrassment. Laughing and joking about a  stigma reduces the seriousness of the embarrassment and enables  people to appear as competent social actors • also can be employed as a covering strategy (by discredited to  manage tension caused by discrepancy between virtual and actual  social identities). Ex= discredited wheelchair use manages  discrepancies between the disabled and others by laughing about  his char. B. Sharing­ patterned and ongoing forms of humor can be used to highlight  what people share (does the work of uniting people into groups). What is  shared is often knowledge and interpretation. It’s only shared amusement  that ties people together but also ongoing interactions that refer to humor  known to the group • ex= pranks. Social settings like schools maintain a history of  pranking. Constitute shared amusement, knowledge and  interpretations for students who work on them and who learn about  the pranks. Humor that draws on the tradition of pranks at MIT,  which unites people as they work on current pranks and share  stories about MIT’s tradition of pranking. Unites all students. C. Separating­ refers to how humor can be used to call attention to  boundaries between groups ­what’s funny/what’s not divides people ­ Fine wrote a book about mushroom collectors who crack all  kinds of mushroom jokes  that wouldn’t be funny to anyone else  D. Securing­ example of little league players making fun of boys with  girlfriends. This  is not just a “boys will be boys” example; actually serves to  warn boys against over­involvement with girls and remind them how  important the team is instead. It polices the boundaries of the group. III. Self­mockery—F&S don’t discuss as much. Speech, gestures, contortions, antics and  expressive overtones that treat the self with ridicule or derision. A. Ungar: calls this “story chaining.” People recount stories of past failings  through self­mockery and compete with each other to tell the most accomplished  story of self­mockery (Seinfeld example). Important paradox in social life: self­ mockery can enhance ourselves. Widespread. B. Ungar argues that self­enhancement etc. are not as great as we assume them to  be; Goffman overemphasizes it. Ungar says instead that self­enhancement over  time becomes very fragile. Through status­altering actions, self­mockery can  enhance our selves. Status C. Through status altering actions, self­mockery can enhance our selves. ­status=position in some kind of social situation. People use mockery to  negotiate their social position. ­ex= people in high status positions (Bill Gates, President) use self  mockery to lessen the gap between themselves and others D. Through self­mockery, people can present a self that is out of place in a certain  situation (“Yeah I have a PhD, but I slipped on the ice coming in here.”). Humor  allows us to reveal our handicaps, insecurities, shortcomings while retaining  dignity; but demands that listeners discount the seriousness of it. Temporarily  promotes status equality, like when breaking the ice and can be used to unite a  community.  Book Notes 10/29 1. “On Motive”: John Dewey • defies conventional wisdom by writing that motives are socially constructed;  motive=type of explanation used to account for particular behaviors. Motives  are in truth “extra psychological”; puts them outside of the individual.  Motives are verbal attributions (explanations we offer, after a fact, for  behavior).  ­example: John rips into a bag of Oreos. If we say, “Oh, poor boy was so  hungry” the act is innocent. If we say, “He’s being selfish/a slob” then he  could be in trouble. Therefore motives don’t equal an inner psychological  state; it’s a communicative act shaping interpretation of people and their  behaviors.  2. “Situated Actions and Vocabularies of Motive”: C. Wright Mills. ­puts Dewey’s view into historical/situational perspective. Agrees with  Dewey that motives are explanations, not internal processes (calls them  “vocabularies” that communicate the causes for what people say and do).   ­ But, we don’t assign motives to others/ourselves arbitrarily; situation and  history help to determine it as well 3. “The rhetoric of motive in divorce”: Joseph Hopper ­like Mills, sees motive as rhetorical accounts—in this case, accounts for decision  to divorce.  a. the person initializing the divorce talks about the importance of personal  needs over marital commitment b. other partner evokes marriage vows, interpersonal and family  responsibilities •motives emerge as accounts after the fact, only as partners gain clear sense of  their responsibilities in divorce proceedings •rhetoric of motives= something they learn as they go through the process, not  something intrinsic Motives I. The ordinary perspective on motives ­in every day life, we often understand motives as: reasons for what we do,  explanations for behavior, cause of actions and inner states involving genes,  biochemistry and brains II. In this class, we adopt the sociological social psychology perspective on     motives A. Dewey: argues that motives are retroactive; people do something and  then after they do, say, “Yeah, that’s what my motives are.” B. Motives are not causes of action because they do not exist prior to the  act nor produce the act C. As H/G say, ‘we can hardly assign motives to events that haven’t  happened yet’. Dewey argues that motives are explanations of  behavior after the fact.  Also argues that motives are not inner states  like genes, biochemistry or brains; instead they are “verbal  attributions” or talk that explains past behavior III. Assigning motives after deciding to divorce (Hopper). Shows that both kinds  of motives emerge only after a decision to divorce has been made. Doing so      imposes order on the ambiguous and contradictory elements of divorce. In other  words, the motive didn’t pre­exist the divorce and help cause it; they help people  make sense of it after it’s already happened IV. Motives as unquestioned (Mills)­ says motives are unquestioned answers  concerning social and lingual conduct. Where an explanation stops, rests or is adequate  for people is not natural or inevitable. How much explaining is enough and when it can  stop are constructed. RE­READ THIS PIECE. ­example: The motives your parents accept are not the same ones accepted by  your boss, grandma, best friend. These groups all have different standards for  what is reasonable. V. From motives to vocabulary as motives. Mills take’s Dewey’s theory and says: A. situations play an important role in motives: what is questionable is shaped by  situational expectations, what motives people are willing to accept will be shaped  by situational expectations.  B. historical context: motives only make sense in specific historical contexts.  Motives are only convincing in specific historical contexts.   ­for example, Mills argues that sexual and pecuniary motives are  especially  convincing to us now: a. pecuniary: Rockefeller saying “God gave me my money.” Accepted  back in the day, but now we scoff at that.  b. sexual: Medieval monk writes about giving bread to a “poor but pretty”  woman out of goodness of his soul; but now we assign a sexual motive to  it Questionable behavior Motive honored from 14­17   Motives more convincing to  centuries us now ­crime ­witchcraft A) biological (genetic  defects, brain damage,  sexual/aggressive drive) B) socioeconomic:  unemployment rates, etc. ­departing from gender roles ­witchcraft A) biological=  gender/anxiety divide B) religion/religious freedom The historical contexts of motives Mills (1940) argues that: the motives that convince people from one historical context are  no more or less “real” or authentic than motives from another historical context because  what is convincing to people has changed in the past and will change again in the future ­How do motives play an important role in future behavior? 1. people can take motives that people have honored for some past behavior and  use it to explain future behavior 2. relieving anxiety an/or tension about doing certain things or planning to do  certain things  3. convincing members of groups that something we have done was appropriate,  and then gaining access to group membership Retrospective Aligning Actions ­Aligning actions:: motive talk that makes what we do and say compatible with what is  thought to be typical, expected, probably, desirable or consistent with what is culturally  normal (Stokes and Hewitt). • aligning actions can: a. make past behavior consistent with cultural expectations (retrospective  aligning actions) b. make anticipated future behavior consistent with cultural expectations  (prospective aligning actions) c. involve both types Scott & Lyman: Accounts (1968)  A. a type of retrospective aligning action, invoked when a person is accused of  having done something that is bad, wrong, inept, unwelcome or in some other  of the numerous possible ways, untoward. They have done it in the past. ­example: Kalab (1987) study. College students’ account for missing class.  Students must provide written explanation for absence. 8% of notes were  “justifications” (accounts that suggest that although one is responsible,  missing class has some positive value [accept responsibility]. Notes with  justifications were appeals to higher loyalties like illness, death, needing  help), 92% were “excuses” (recognize that missing class is wrong but attempt  to diminish responsibility for it. Biological factors, other responsibilities,  oversleeping and classwork, accidents. Connections: Author “Not doings” Mullaney (2006) Drugs, sex Eliasoph (1998) Talking politics Glaser and Strauss (1965) Talking about death Scott and Lyman (1968) Offering accounts Scott and Lyman also describe strategies people use to avoid giving accounts 1. mystification: speaker admits to not meeting some expectations, hints at  reasons for unexpected behaviors, but also says they cannot say what the  reasons are (“It’s a long story.”) 2. referral: speaker refers listener(s) to somebody else for reasons why  expectations have not been met  • example: “I know I’m not meeting your expectations, but if you wish to  know why, please see…” • “I don’t make the rules, I just work here.” 3. identity switching= speaker suggests that listeners don’t understand who they  want to be taken as. “You don’t know who I am.” “Do you know who I am?” Prospective Aligning Actions ­ mature talk that makes anticipated future events or behavior aligned with  cultural/social expectations ­ Sharp/Hewitt/Stokes: show how these work. Ex: divorce within evangelical  Christian communities. Argues that motives for divorce enable future action  among conservative Christian victims of spousal abuse by:  a. relieving the “cognitive dissonance” associated with taking certain  courses of action (like divorce) b. provide members of a group with arguments they can use to convince  other members that something they have done/will do is appropriate  (divorce) •Disclaimers: verbal devices people use to ward off and defeat in advance threats  to emergent meanings and their selves. Seeking to discount or count as irrelevant  some emergent self and limit large range of possible meanings and selves. Types: 1. Hedging: prefacing statement with expressions of minimal  commitment, express uncertainty about how speaker’s talk or action  will be received. (“Yeah I said this, but I’m not fully committed to it.”) 2. Credentials: employed when people know something they’re  saying/doing will be discrediting, but they talk in such a way to make  people think they have the credentials to say it.  3. Sin license: invoke in a specific situation where it is understood by  people that it is legitimate to break a rule 4. Cognitive disclaimers: anticipate doubts about a speaker’s grasp of  what is “really” going on in a situation. Reassure listener that the  speaker has not lost any cognitive capabilities and that there is still  agreement on the “facts” of the situation. 5. Appeal for suspensions of judgment: don’t judge me until you know  the full meaning of what I’m trying to say! Type of disclaimer Examples 1) Hedging A) I’m no expert of course, but… B) I could be wrong, but I think  that… C) Let me play devil’s advocate  here… 2) credentialing A) I’m not prejudiced—some of  my best friends are Jews—but… [followed by disparaging  comment] B) I’m not racist, but… 3)sin licenses A) You might think this is wrong,  but… B) I know this is technically not  allowed, but… 4) cognitive disclaimers A) I know this is crazy, but… B)This may seem strange to you, 
More Less

Related notes for SOCIOL 3310

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.