RIM 1020 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Paul Saffo, Web 2.0

67 views2 pages
25 Jul 2017
School
Course
Professor
AMERICAN MEDIA AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS
RIM/JOUR/EMC 1020
Dr. Dougan
Study Guide
Exam #1
Caution: This guide is not meant to be comprehensive. It is designed to provide you with a
way to organize your study. The best way of preparing for exams in this class is to keep up
with the reading and take good notes. Again, I recommend study groups as an excellent way
to understand the material.
Reading: Chapters 1, 2 & 4
Helpful (I hope) advice: It’s not that I have a lot of questions that require dates for the answer
(I’m more likely to ask you about a particular decade) but knowing dates may help you figure out
a correct answer. Also, I like to phrase questions in this manner: Which ONE of the following is
NOT true. If you’re reading the book, pay attention to any boldfaced terms and their definitions
that’s an excellent resource from which I can create questions.
Terminology: Quantitative and qualitative research, cultural studies, textual analysis, audience
studies, political economy studies, knowledge gap hypothesis, agenda-setting theory, cultivation
theory, spiral of silence, social learning theory, Frankfurt School, critical theory, third-person
effect, monoculture, paradox of choice, media literacy (and its intellectual components), cultural
hegemony, semiotics, popular culture, structural functionalism, mass communication, culture and
the “idea” of culture, eras of mass media, printing press, information age, digital and converged,
media convergence, linear model of mass communication, evolution of a mass medium, the
hierarchy of culture, gendered social practices (gender as a spectrum rather than a binary), the
shifting values of the modern and postmodern age, the five revolutions in mass communication,
solipsism (what is it?)
Also be familiar with material in Chapter 2 on the Internet, its history, the key technological
developments that made the Internet a reality for many people. What’s the difference between
the Internet and the World Wide Web? What’s HTML? Who is Tim Berners-Lee? What is
digital communication? YouTube, it’s popularity and use. The digital divide: who has access to
the Internet? Paul Saffo and the “30-year-cycle.” The companies that dominate the Web 2.0. The
Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Communications Decency Act, Net neutrality, threats to net
neutrality and the recent FCC ruling on net neutrality, #activism (pros and cons), the semantic
web, Facebook censorship, Leslie Jones and Twitter
Chapter 4: Napster, who invented it, what did it do? What’s life like in the post-Napster world?
Inventing outrage, the popular music timeline. What about the impact of specific decades (like,
for example, the 60s and the British Invasion)? When did digital recording occur? The
technology timeline how did we get from Edison cylinders to the compact disc? The rise of
MTV how did it change popular music? The PMRC what was it and what were they so
concerned about? (Hint: it took place in 1985 and was about warning labels on records to inform
parents as to the appropriateness of the content for children.) The Big Three conglomerates than
control the music industry: who are they? How much of the market do they control? What’s a
global oligopoly? Streaming music, who gets the money? Spotify and Tinder.
PLEASE NOTE: On the day of the exam, for some inexplicable reason, I come down with
acute amnesia that lasts from the moment I walk into the room until all of the exams are
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Grade+

Unlimited access to all notes and study guides.

Grade+All Inclusive
$10 USD/m
You will be charged $120 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.