RIM 1020 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: John Logie Baird, Satellite Television, Federal Communications Commission

107 views1 pages
25 Jul 2017
School
Course
Professor
AMERICAN MEDIA AND SOCIAL INSTITUTIONS
RIM/JOUR/EMC 1020
Dr. Dougan
Study Guide
Exam #2
Caution: This guide is not meant to be definitive, but rather, comprehensive. It is designed to provide you
with a way to organize your study. The best way of preparing for exams in this class is to keep up with the
reading and take good notes. Again, I recommend study groups as an excellent way to understand the
material.
Reading: Chapters 5-7. Remember there will be a number of questions taken directly from the text. Helpful (I
hope) advice: If a chapter contains a timeline, I would make sure I had a degree of familiarity with the dates. It’s
not that I have a lot of questions that require dates for the answer (I’m more likely to ask you about a particular
decade) but knowing dates may help you figure out a correct answer. Also, I like to phrase questions in this
manner: Which ONE of the following is NOT true. It’s a slightly more challenging way of testing what you
know and how you understand it. As you’re reading the book, pay attention to any boldfaced terms and their
definitions that’s an excellent resource from which I can create questions.
Radio become familiar with people, places, and things: Marconi, Lee de Forest, James Maxwell, Heinrich
Hertz, Marconi, crystal sets, Wireless Ship Act (1910), Radio Act of 1912, Radio Corporation of America, David
Sarnoff, Major patent holders in the early days of commercial radio, What is the significance of radio station
KDKA? Radio’s popularity in the 1920s (How many radio stations were operating? By the end of the 1920s,
how many radios were in the marketplace?) NBC Red & Blue, What’s an affiliate station? William S. Paley,
CBS, Radio Act of 1927, Federal Communication Act 1934 (Federal Communications Commission), The Golden
Age of Radio, Orson Welles and “War of the Worlds,” PBS and NPR, Edwin Armstrong and the development of
FM radio, the impact of transistors, Internet Radio, satellite radio, podcasting.
Television and Cable: Paul Nipkow, Victor Zworykin, John Logie Baird, Philo T. Farnsworth, RCA introduces
television at New York World’s Fair in 19399, Cost of a TV in the late 1930s, By 1962, what percentage of
American homes had a television? The Golden Age of Television, single sponsor programs, the quiz show
controversy, fallout from quiz show controversy, television “spectaculars,” Big 3 (4?) Networks, anthology vs.
episodic television, decline of the network era, emergence of HBO and WTBS, impact of videocassette recorders,
“time-shifting,” In 1997 VCRs were in what percentage of American homes? A.C. Nielsen Company, difference
between a share and a rating. CATV whom did it serve? When did it first appear? What were the reasons the
National Association of resisted cable TV market penetration? Must carry rules, access channels, HBO,
Telecommunications Act 1996, narrowcasting, CNNand its business formula,” MTV as business model, Direct
Broadcast Satellite, the fourth screen, Telemundo and Univision and the significance of Spanish language
television, development of WiMax technology.
Movies: Celluloid, Cinematograph, Kinetoscope, Vitascope, Nickelodeon, “The Trust,” George Meliés, Adolph
Zukor, block booking, George Eastman, Hannibal Goodwin, Importance of the Birth of a Nation and the Jazz
Singer, Alice Guy-Blaché, Oscar Micheaux, Father Daniel Lord, Will Hays and the Hays Office, Production Code
Administration, Joseph Breen, Jack Valenti, importance of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf? MPAA ratings board,
HUAC committee, Hollywood blacklist and the Hollywood 10, the impact of television on Hollywood, impact of
VCRs, Hollywood after Star Wars, the Blockbuster (not the bankrupt video chain) mentality, how do Hollywood
studios make money.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Grade+

Unlimited access to all notes and study guides.

Grade+All Inclusive
$10 USD/m
You will be charged $120 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.