4 Pages
Unlock Document

Northeastern University
Chemistry & Chemical Biology
CHEM 1214

Vishal Sharoff College Writing ENGW1111-- Finn 1/6/14 Writing has always seemed to be a natural, flowing method of communication for me. In my early and “formative” years, I always added a lot of humor to my writing, probably in an attempt to be the funny kid of the elementary school classrooms-- a highly coveted position. These years were likely critical to building any rhetorical skills that I have. My fifth grade teacher would always tell me that I never struggled to find a few words that matched the situation perfectly; a similar comment was echoed by my government teacher during my senior year of high school, after an in-class debate. I would venture to guess that a main reason for my abundance of words is credited to my generally social outlook on life. I’ve always found that a day is incomplete until I’ve met at least one new person. Whether it’s creative exercises from elementary school, or a day spent making new friends as a college freshman, words have never been hard to find. In my opinion, it’s these experiences that have crafted my level of comfort in reading and writing. One of my favorite, self-created pieces of writing was a poem I wrote in the fourth grade. As with any great poet, my number one goal was to make sure every line rhymed, even if I had to rhyme orange with door-hinge. The theme of this poem was not at all apparent, but had some sort of mention of spring break. I managed to illustrate whatever interesting images of spring came to mind and also added my own senses of humor by throwing in a reference to the then popular “so easy a caveman could do it” Geico commercials. This essay was certainly not an elegantly focused piece of writing and had a vocabulary fit for a bright fourth grader. This writing was, however, an exhibition in creativity and communication and served as an experience necessary for every growing kid. A lot of my confidence in writing at that young age came from feeling free to be creative. This feeling is present in every young child, but often becomes absent as that child becomes an adult. I often make a conscious effort to preserve this natural childlike instinct whether in written work, or even social interactions. I think of writing as a one-way conversation attempting to communicate or convey an argument or story. This is parallel to everyday social interactions. Because of writing’s social nature, I feel like I would also have to credit my writing skills to social interactions that I’ve been having my entire life. From telling stories, to hearing arguments, verbal communication is a constant in my social life. Fittingly, these skills of storytelling and understanding arguments are absolutely fundamental to writing and reading. I’ve always enjoyed meeting new people and hearing their stories, which translates to my joy of reading biographie
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 1214

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.