Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1101
Professor
Serena Parekh
Semester
Spring

Description
•  The Republic by Plato (BOOK I)   • Important term: the “soul” (your inner or true self) o Not the immortal soul of Christianity Main Characters • Socrates (voice of Plato) • Cephalus: Old wealthy businessman (voice of reason/wisdom) • Polemarchus • Glaucon and Adeimantus (Socrates student  ▯good­natured and genuinely curious) • Thrasymachus: An Anatagonous (A sophist and squares off with Socrates) Why are there characters? • Represent different views • Create a community Plato thinks there are 3 parts of a person 1. Reason = logic (stories, myths) 2. Spirit = Emotions (pictures) 3. Appetite Books I­II (On the nature of Justice) Definition 1 of Justice: Cephalus • Justice is telling the truth and paying back what is owed • Socrates says that there is a problem with this  Definition 2: Polymarchus • Justice is helping friends and harming enemies • This is the conventional view of Justice • Socrates says that how would you know your friends are morally just and your  enemies are really that evil • “It is never right to harm anyone” because doing harm, harms yourself Definition 3: Thrasymachus • Justice is the interest of the stron
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit