Different kinds of Pleasure
• Intellectual: Philosophical pleasure (truth)
• Passion: Competitive, ambitious (Power, Success, fame)
• Bodily: Avaricious (food, drink, sex)
• They all correspond to different kinds of people (the philosophical, the competitive,
o Each person thinks their way of life is the best
How can we judge which way of life is best?
By experience and rationality (Plato)
Who has the most experience with different pleasures?
• Only the philosopher has experience all
• The avaricious person has never experienced intellectual pleasure
o If he wanted to try, it would be hard
• Only the philosopher is in a position to judge ( he is the one who has the resources to
make a decision – rational argumentation)
Philosophical Pleasure is best
• Because philosopher has the most pleasure
• True pleasures: pleasure of the mind, unconnected to pain
• False pleasures: pleasure of the body (just a relief from pain – pain of hunger,
• Since morality is the rule of the rational, the moral life is happier
Is immorality rewarding?
• Remember: this entails enslaving the best part of oneself to the worst part
• Unhappiness is the result for both s