PRODUCTION BOOK GUIDE AND TEMPLATE (1/3 Parts).pdf

13 Pages

Department
Undergrad Film & TV
Course Code
FMTV-UT 39
Professor
Andrew French

This preview shows pages 1,2,3. Sign up to view the full 13 pages of the document.
Description
PRODUCTION BOOK GUIDE AND TEMPLATE By Jinane Bahlawan While working on my production book, I realized that I wasn’t really sure on what to do or how I should format my stuff. Looking at other production books, people were using allkinds of weird fonts or everything was just lacking in information. Since film students hate logistics and paperwork, here’s a guide with a quick template on what your production book should look like. This guide is specific to Digital Frame and Sequence, but could serve as a production book for all later films. Your teacher might have different requirements or even less requirements than what’s here, but this will help you develop one that is thorough, consistent, and concise. MATERIALS: - 3 ring binder (preferable) or folder with prongs - Section/page dividers (plastic, no pockets) Title each divider tab as follows: 1. Story Synopsis 2. Script (Dialogue, or V.O.) 3. Character Sketch 4. Storyboard(s) 5. Inspiration/Infleunces/References 6. Production Design 7. Camera Work 8. Production Schedule/Shooting Schedule 9. Camera Log 10. Sound Design/Music 11. Production Contact List (optional, but suggested) 12. Evaluation Now, we’re going to break down these tabs into another 11 pages, where each page will contain guiding questions, tables, and all sorts of other stuff to help you get your project organized more quickly! If you’re unsure about what your production book should still look like after this guide and template, check out the separate document titled “PRODUCTION BOOK SAMPLE”. It’ll be the production book I used for my first F&S experimental. Happy filmmaking! TITLE: BY LENGTH: CLASS: INSTRUCTOR: DATE: This information should be either the first page in your production book or on the cover of it. SYNOPSIS LOG LINE: This is a 1-line description of your film. PLOT: This is a paragraph description of your film’s plot. Start by identifying the protagonist, problem/conflict, and setting. Then go into the major plot points/conflicts/turns, but don’t give away too many details. Avoid unnecessary description. Bring up other characters in the order they appear. Remember – this is a summary, not an essay or a novel hook. Be sure to end it by describing how the major conflicts are resolved. (I recommend 1.5 spacing for this so that it’s not too cluttered.) THEMES: Those “big concepts” that your literature teachers bugged you about; heroism, fear, brotherhood, community, stuff like that. 2. SCRIPT If you haven’t taken Storytelling Strategies yet and if you haven’t written a film script before, you should use a free scriptwriting program like CELTX. Otherwise, you probably know how to format a script by name. You’re smart; you can figure out what to do here. If your project doesn’t need a script, that’s one less thing for you to do! Yay! 3. CHARACTER SKETCH I’m assuming this is a sketch design of your character(s), but he didn’t say we needed it so I’d hold off on this for now.
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit