BusML 4202 Midterm 2 tricky concepts reminder.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ohio State University
Business Admin:Marketing & Log
BUSML 4202
Roger Bailey

BusML4202 Midterm 2 tricky concepts reminder The concepts included in this notes are the ones that I get wrong and they are very tricky!! High chance to be on the exam!! Attitude and scaling - understand the difference between Likert scale and graphing continuum. He doesn’t ask much in the sample midterm so I don’t think there‘s a need to worry about it. Questionnaire design - Remember the major steps of setting a survey: 1) What should be asked, 2) The layout, 3) and finishing and refining questionnaire - Understand questionnaire definition and objectives - Remember a questionnaire should not be a burden to respondents, have to be clear, avoid making assumptions and the solutions to each problem i) avoid complexity: use complete sentence to ask questions ii) double- barreled: one question, one item iii) avoid vague wordings in terms of time (i.e. regularly) iv) avoid burdensome questions in terms of time frame v) avoid making assumptions: allow respondents to skip questions vi) make sure no overlapping in questionnaire options e.g. Don’t say stuff like 1-10, 10-20 vii) leaded and loaded questions: clue respondents what to answer solution: third person technique purpose of funneling and how that relates to the objective of setting up a questionnaire Observation research - In an observation study, you can observe physical behavior and characteristics, but definitely NOT cognitive process (no one can do mind reading!!) - observational research is less likely to have social desirability bias than survey research (that’s why observational research is preferred to questionnaire/survey research!) Reason: you can have biased wordings in a questionnaire! For observation, you can have greater control ( if it is contrived) or even rely on machinery for observation! - main difference between human vs machine observation  human: they observe  machine: they record e.g. physiological observation - Dimensions of observational research  definition of contrived: artificial, physiological measure, control extraneous factors  know the definition of direct and indirect observation!! - Cons of observation research: applicable to real world situation?? (external validity) Experimental research - The disadvantage of one group pretest-posttest design is extraneous variable are largely uncontrolled (It doesn’t even have a control group btw) - The disadvantage of static group is it has selection bias (lack of randomization) - Matching (one-to-one match) can be used to replace randomization. - Randomization is crucial in posttest-only control group design because it helps guarantee experimental and control group are equal - understand extraneous variables (testing effects, history, maturation, and mortality), especially the difference between maturation and history - understand how external and internal validity is related to lab and field experiments. Review of basic statistics Part I and II - difference between population parameter and sample statistics  Again, is the value of parameter/statistics known or unknown?  Again, which one can be depicted by a smooth line? Sample/population?! This is very
More Less

Related notes for BUSML 4202

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.