Study Guides (248,309)
United States (123,310)
Psychology (242)
PSYCH 1100 (104)
Final

PSYCH 1100 FINAL Exam First 2/3 of Material + List of Most Missed Topics from Previous 2 Midterms

30 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Psychology
Course
PSYCH 1100
Professor
Spenser Hughes
Semester
Spring

Description
Psychology Final Exam Study Guide 04/21/2014 Topics Covered • required readings from March 24 through April 21 o social psychology o intelligence o personality o psychological disorders o treatment of psychological disorders • topics covered in the top 10 most missed questions from Exams 1 and 2 Social Psychology 04/21/2014 I. Social Psychology – the study of the causes and consequences of sociality a. Social behavior – how people interact with each other b. Social influence – how people change each other c. Social cognition – how people understand each other d. Only 4 social species on Earth have become ultra­social i. Hymenoptera – i.e. aunts, bees, and wasps ii. Termites iii. Naked mole rats iv. Humans I. Human beings are the only animal that builds large­scale social networks of unrelated individuals e. Aggression – behavior whose purpose is to harm another i. Frustration­aggression hypothesis I. Animals aggress when and only when their goals are frustrated ii. The best prediction of aggression is gender. I. Aggression is correlated with the presence of testosterone, which is typically higher in men than in  women, in younger men than older men, and in violent criminals than in nonviolent criminals II. Testosterone lowers one’s sensitivity to signs of threat III. ¾ of all murders are classified as “class competitions” or “contests to save face” a. it’s not men with low self­esteem, but men with unrealistically high  self­esteem who are more prone to aggression IV. female aggression tends to be more premeditated than impulsive and more likely to be focused on  attaining or protecting their status a. more likely to cause social harm iii. aggression varies with time and geography Social Psychology 04/21/2014 I. violent crime in the US is more prevalent in the south where men are taught to act aggressively when  they feel their status has been threatened II. people learn by example a. violent video games can lead to violent and uncooperative behavior f. Cooperation – behavior by two or more individuals that leads to mutual benefit i. Cooperation is risky I. Ways to lower the risk: a. Be able to spot cheaters b. React strongly when you detect someone cheating II. Group – a collection of people who have something in common that distinguishes them from others a. One thing in common between all groups – the people in them tend to  be especially nice to each other b. Prejudice – a positive or negative evaluation of another person based  on their group membership c. Discrimination – a positive or negative behavior toward another  person based on their group membership d. A defining characteristic of groups is hat their members are positively  prejudiced toward other members and tend to discriminate in their  favor i. Favoritism e. Groups don’t fully capitalize on the expertise of their members. i. Give too little weight to the opinions of members who are  experts and too much to those in high status or who are  especially talkative. ii. Also spend too much time discussing info that is unimportant  and known to everyone and little time discussing info that is  important but known to just a few. iii. Members like to maintain harmony and are reluctant to rock the  boat even if needed. iv. In conclusion, groups underperform individuals in a wide variety  of tasks. f. Deindividuation – occurs when immersion in a group causes people to  become less concerned with their personal values. i. We are less likely to pay attention to our personal values and  instead adopt the groups values. Social Psychology 04/21/2014 g. Diffusion of responsibility – occurs when individuals feel diminished  responsibility for their actions because they are surrounded by others  who are acting the same way. h. People who are excluded from groups are typically anxious, lonely,  depressed, and at risk for illness and premature death. ii. Altruism – behavior that benefits another without benefitting oneself I. Kin selection – the process by which evolution selects for individuals who cooperate with their relatives a. Cooperating with relatives is not really altruistic II. Reciprocal altruism – behavior that benefits another with the exception that those benefits will be  returned in the future a. Cooperation extended over long periods of time g. Animals have two goals – survive and reproduce i. Selectivity I. Women tend to be more selective than men. a. Sex is potentially more costly for them. b. The reputational costs of sex are much higher. II. The higher the risk, the more selective people tend to be. h. Social influence – the ability to control another person’s behavior. i. 3 basic motivations to make people susceptible to social influence: I. to experience pleasure and avoid pain a. hedonic motive i. can backfire 1. when an individual feels they’re being rewarded to do  a particular task – if there’s no reward, why do it  again? 2. People don’t like to feel manipulated. II. to be accepted and avoid rejection Social Psychology 04/21/2014 a. approval motive i. norms – customary standards for behavior that are widely  shared by members of a culture. ii. Normative influence – occurs when another person’s behavior  provides information about what is appropriate. 1. Norm of reciprocity – the unwritten  rule that people  should benefit those who have benefitted them. iii. Door­in­the­face technique – a strategy that uses reciprocating  concessions to influence behavior. 1. Ask for a large favor and expect a negative response,  then ask for a smaller favor and the chances of a  positive response rise exponentially. 2. Seems as if you are negotiating and they feel that  they must at least consider negotiations as well. iv. Conformity – the tendency to do what others do simply because  others are doing it 1. Results in part from normative influence 2. The behavior of others can tell us what is proper,  appropriate, expected, and accepted – it can define a  norm which we feel obliged to honor. v. Obedience – the tendency to do what powerful people tell us to  do. III. to believe what is right and avoid believing what is wrong a. accuracy motive b. attitude – an enduring positive or negative evaluation of an object or  event c. belief – an enduring piece of knowledge about an object or event d. informational influence – occurs when another person provides  information about what is good and right e. persuasion – occurs when a person’s attitudes or beliefs are  influenced by a communication from another person i. systematic persuasion – the process by which attitudes or  beliefs are changed by appeals to reason 1. appeals to logic and reason Social Psychology 04/21/2014 2. assumes people will be more persuaded when  evidence and arguments are stronger rather than  weak ii. heuristic persuasion – the process by which attitudes or beliefs  are changed by appeals to habit or emotion 1. appeals to habit and emotion 2. assumes that rather than weighing the evidence and  analyzing arguments, people will often use heuristics  – simple shortcuts or “rules of thumb” – to help them  decide whether to believe a communication f. consistency i. foot­in­the­door technique – a technique that involves a small  request followed by a larger request. ii. Cognitive dissonance – an unpleasant state that arises when a  person recognizes the inconsistency of his or her actions,  attitudes, or beliefs. 1. People naturally try to relieve cognitive dissonance by  changing their actions, attitudes, or beliefs in order to  restore consistency among them. i. Social cognition – the process by which people come to understand others. i. Stereotyping – the process by which we draw inferences about others based on  knowledge of the categories by which they belong I. Stereotypes can be inaccurate. a. Most of what we know about the members of human categories is  hearsay – stuff we picked up from other sources. II. Stereotypes can be overused. III. Stereotypes can be self­perpetuating. a. Perceptual confirmation – the tendency for people to see what they  expect to see b. Self­fulfilling prophecy – the tendency for people to cause what they  expect to see i. Stereotype threat – fear of confirming an observer’s stereotype c. Subtyping – the tendency for people who are faced with disconfirming  evidence to modify their stereotypes rather than abandon them IV. Stereotyping can be automatic. a. Stereotyping happens unconsciously and automatically. Social Psychology 04/21/2014 i. We don’t always know we are using them ii. We often cannot avoid using them even when we try V. Attributions – inferences about the causes of people’s behaviors a. Situational attributions – occur when we decide a person’s behavior  was caused by some temporary aspect of the situation in which it  happened. i. Ex: a politician just wants a certain groups votes so sides with  them on issues b. Dispositional attributions – occur when we decide that a person’s  behavior was caused by his or her relatively enduring tendency to  think, feel, or act in a particular way i. Ex: a politician actually feels the way he or she sides on  important issues and isn’t just choosing the side to acquire  votes c. The covariation model helps determine how or why attributions are  made, or how we determine the cause of someone else’s behavior. i. Consistency – the regularity of the action ii. Distinctiveness – the generality of the action iii. Consensus – the typicality of the action d. Correspondence bias – the tendency to make a dispositional  attribution even when a person’s behavior was caused by the situation i. Also called “fundamental attribution error” ii. Causes of correspondence bias: 1. The causes of behavior are often invisible. 2. Situational attributions tend to be more complex than  dispositional attributions and require more time and  attention. iii. Actor­observer effect – the tendency to make situational  attributions for our own behaviors while making dispositional  attributions for the identical behavior of others 1. People typically have more information about the  situations that caused their own behavior. j. Some decisions are based on sound judgments, others are not. i. Rational choice theory – we make decisions by determining how likely something is to  happen, judging the value of the outcome, and then multiplying the two I. Our judgments will vary depending on the value we assign to the possible outcomes. Social Psychology 04/21/2014 ii. Frequencies – the number of times something will happen iii. Probabilities – the likelihood that something will happen iv. Availability bias – items that are more readily available in memory are judged as having  occurred more frequently I. Frequently occurring items are remembered more easily than infrequently occurring items. a. Often incorrectly conclude that items for which you have better  memory must also have been more frequent. II. Heuristics – fast and efficient strategies that may facilitate decision making but do not guarantee that a  solution will be reached a. “rules of thumb” III. algorithm – a well­defined sequence of procedures or rules that guarantees a solution to a problem v. conjunction fallacy – people think that two events are more likely to occur together than  either individual event I. representativeness heuristic – making a probability judgment by comparing an object to a prototype of  the object or event vi. framing effect – occurs when people give different answers to the same question  depending on how the problem is phrased (or framed) I. sunk­cost fallacy – occurs when people make decisions about a current situation based on what they  have previously invested in the situation vii. prospect theory – argues that people choose to take on risks when evaluating potential  losses and avoid risks when evaluating potential gains I. 2 phases: a. people simplify available information b. people choose the prospect tat they believe offers the “best value” II. certainty effect – suggests that when making decisions, people give greater weight to outcomes that  are a sure thing III. when evaluating choices, people compare them to a reference point IV. people are more willing to take risks to avoid losses tan to achieve gains viii. frequency format hypothesis – our minds evolved to notice how frequently things occur,  not how likely they are to occur I. we interpret, process, and manipulate information about frequency with comparative ease because  that’s the way quantitative information usually occurs in natural circumstances II. people can track frequencies effortlessly and flawlessly ix. individuals with prefrontal brain damage make riskier decisions because they cannot  initially see the long­term affect. I. Substance­dependent individuals respond the same way. Social Psychology 04/21/2014 Aspects of risky decision­making depend critically on the contributions of the prefrontal cortex. Intelligence 04/21/2014 I. Intelligence – the ability to direct one’s thinking, adapt to one’s circumstances, and learn from one’s  experiences I. Williams syndrome i. Caused by the absence of 20 genes on chromosome 7 ii. Profoundly impairs general cognitive abilities, but leaves individuals with talent for music  and language iii. Commonly can’t count or distinguish right from left II. Henry Goddard i. Psychologist in the 1920s who distributed intelligence tests to new immigrants on Ellis  Island and American families to determine the feebleminded. 1. Goddard wanted to separate those who scored poorly from the general  population and keep them from procreating. ii. His determinations caused a restriction to be placed on immigrants from Southern and  Eastern Europe, and 27 states passed laws requiring the sterilization of “mental  defectives”. III. Alfred Binet (Psychologist) & Theodore Simon (Physician) i. French government called on them to develop a test to allow educators to develop  remedial programs for children who were behind. 1. Test covered what the best students could do and the worst could not to  determine the future success of the children in between. 2. Designed to measure aptitude for learning independent of prior academic  achievement a. Called it a test of “natural intelligence” 3. The suggested teachers use the test to determine a students’ “mental age” a. How they compare to the others in their peer/age group(s) to  determine which children require remedial education IV. Lewis Terman (American Psychologist) i. 1916 ii. ratio IQ – a statistic obtained by dividing a person’s mental age by the person’s physical  age and then dividing the quotient by 100 1. this was an imperfect formula with many long­term flaws 2. researchers devised a new measure Intelligence 04/21/2014 a. deviation IQ – a statistic obtained by dividing a person’s test score by  the average test score of people in the same age group and then  multiplying the quotient by 100 i. doesn’t allow comparisons between people of different ages 1. modern researcher use ratio IQ for children and  deviation IQ for adults V. intelligence tests do not “measure” intelligence. i. They measure the ability to answer questions and perform tasks that are highly  correlated with the ability to get good grades, solve real­world problems, and so on. VI. Most widely used intelligence tests i. Stanford­Binet 1. Based on Binet and Simon’s research but updated by Terman and his  colleagues at Stanford University ii. WAIS 1. Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale 2. 13 subtests which involve (more than what’s listed below): a. seeing similarities and differences b. drawing inferences c. working out and applying rules d. remembering and manipulating material e. constructing shapes f. articulating the meaning of words g. recalling general knowledge h. explaining practical actions in everyday life i. working with numbers j. attending to details Intelligence 04/21/2014 3. 3 subtests require writing things down 4. none require writing words VII. Intelligence test scores are highly correlated with just about every outcome that human being care  about. i. Best predictor of how many years of education an individual will receive 1. Thus occupational status and income as well ii. Strong correlation between the average intelligence score of a nation and its overall  economic status iii. Best predictor of how well employees will perform at their job iv. Can predict how likely people are commit crimes and how long people are likely to live v. Predict performance on basic cognitive tasks vi. The more an intelligent an individual the more likely they are to be liberal and atheistic VIII.Factor analysis – a statistical technique that explains a large number of correlations in terms of a small  number of underlying factors i. If intelligence is a single, general ability, then there should be a very strong positive  correlation between people’s performances on all kinds of tests. IX. Two­factor theory of intelligence (Spearman) i. Every task requires a combination of a general ability and skills that are specific to the  task X. Thurstone’s primary mental abilities: i. Perceptual ability ii. Verbal ability iii. Numerical ability iv. We have different abilities, and not necessarily all of them 1. Meaning intelligence is to ability as athletics is to basketball XI. Confirmatory factor analysis – the correlations between scores on different mental ability tests are best  described by a 3 level hierarchy Intelligence 04/21/2014 i. General factor at the top ii. Specific factors at the bottom iii. Group factors in the middle iv. This theory suggests that people have a very general ability called intelligence, which is  made up of a small set of middle­level abilities, which are made up of a large set of  specific abilities that are unique to particular tasks XII. John Carroll (Psychologist) i. Found the existence of 8 middle­level abilities: 1. Memory and learning 2. Visual perception 3. Auditory perception 4. Retrieval ability 5. Cognitive speediness 6. Processing speed 7. Crystalized intelligence – the ability to retain and use knowledge that was  acquired through experience a. “Information” b. generally assessed by tests of vocabulary, factual information, etc. 8. Fluid intelligence – the ability to see abstract relationships and draw logical  inferences a. “Processing” b. assessed by tests that pose novel, abstract problems that must be  solved under time pressure XIII.Theory­Based Approach i. Conclusions are based on hard evidence ii. Incapable of discovering any middle­level ability that intelligence tests didn’t already  measure Intelligence 04/21/2014 1. May be incapable of revealing the middle­level abilities such as imagination  and creativity iii. Robert Sternberg (Psychologist) 1. Suggests there are 3 kinds of intelligence a. Analytic intelligence – the ability to identify and define problems and to  find strategies to solve them b. Creative intelligence – the ability to generate solutions that other  people do not c. Practical intelligence – the ability to apply and implement these  solutions in everyday settings iv. Howard Gardner (Psychologist) 1. Believes standard intelligence tests fail to measure some important human  abilities a. Prodigies – people of normal intelligence who have an extraordinary  ability b. Savants – people of low intelligence who have an extraordinary ability 2. 8 kinds of intelligence a. linguistic b. logical­mathematical c. spatial d. musical e. bodily­kinesthetic f. interpersonal g. intrapersonal h. naturalistic 3. argues standard intelligence tests only measure the first 3 of the 8 because  they are most valued by Western culture a. but other cultures may see intelligence differently Intelligence 04/21/2014 v. John Mayer & Peter Salovey (Psychologists) 1. Emotional intelligence – the ability to reason about emotions and to use  emotions to enhance reasoning a. Know what emotions certain events will trigger b. Can identify, describe and manage their emotions c. Know how to use their emotions to improve their decisions d. Can identify other people’s emotions and from facial expressions and  tone of voice e. They do all this very easily i. Show less neural activity when solving emotional problems than  emotionally unintelligent people f. Tend to be happier and more satisfied with life i. Better relationships, more friends, better social skills in general XIV.Both nature and nurture influence intelligence i. Is intelligence based on genetics? 1. Members of a family have similar levels of intelligence because they share  genes, environment, or sometimes both. 2. Siblings with the same parents but different birthdays share 50% of their  genes 3. Fraternal twins (dizygotic) – twins who develop from two different eggs that  were fertilized by two different sperm who happen to have the same birthday ­  share 50% of their genes 4. Identical twins (monozygotic) – twins who develop from the splitting of a single  egg that was fertilized by a single sperm – share 100% of their genes a. Similar intelligence scores regardless of environment b. Thus genes do quite a bit in determining intelligence ii. Heritability coefficient (h^2) – a statistic that describes the proportion of the difference  between people’s scores that can be explained by differences in their genes 1. The intelligence of a single person is a product of both genes and experience  and cannot be “due” to one of these things more than another 2. Tells us why people in a particular group differ from one another Intelligence 04/21/2014 a. Value can change depending on the particular group of people  measured 3. Shared environment – those environmental factors that are experienced by all  relevant members of a household 4. Non­shared environment – those environmental factors that are not  experienced by all relevant members of a household iii. Alfred Binet (1909) 1. Believed intelligence could grow over time with the appropriate training,  practice, etc. iv. Relative intelligence is generally stable over time. v. Absolute intelligence can change considerably over time. 1. As Binet suspected. 2. Tends to decrease across the lifespan, but increase across generations a. The Flynn Effect i. James Flynn (Philosopher) ii. Accidental discovery iii. The average intelligence score has been rising by about 0.3%  every year 1. Average person today scores 15 IQ points higher  than average person 50 years ago. vi. Environmental influence 1. Higher socio­economic status (SES) correlates with higher IQ a. 12­18 IQ points separate the average low­SES individual from a high­ SES individual b. low­SES children have poorer nutrition and medical care, greater  stress and greater exposure to environmental toxins i. all can impair brain development c. high­SES parents are more likely to ask stimulating questions i. by age 3, high­SES c
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit