Biology
Course
BIOL 110
Professor
D R.J O H N P E L E S
Semester
Fall

Description
Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . Cell Membranes: Chapter 7 I. Requirements for Maintaining Cell Structure A. Barrier between intracellular and extracellular environments B. Regulation of movements into and out of the cell II. Cell Membrane Structure A. Components of the Cell Membrane 1. Phospholipid bilayer i. Amphipathic- Molecule with hydrophobic and hydrophilic regions Phospholipid Bilayer WATER Hydrophilic head Hydrophobic tail WATER 2. Membrane proteins i. Integral proteins ii. Peripheral proteins Fluid Mosaic Model Phospholipid bilayer Hydrophobic Hydrophilic regions of protein regions of protein Functions of Membrane Proteins ~ 1 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . Functions of Membrane Proteins 3. Carbohydrates 4. Cholesterol Fluid Mosaic Model ~ 2 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . III. Movement of Molecules Into the Cell A. Factors Influencing Membrane Transport 1. Membrane permeability 2. Size of molecule 3. Concentration gradient- Difference in the number of molecules between two areas Date: / / . B. Categories of Molecular Movement 1. Diffusion- Net movement of molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration i. Types of Diffusion a. Simple Diffusion- Diffusion across a membrane Simple b. Osmosis- Diffusion of water across a selectively permeable membrane c. Models for Facilitated Diffusion Facilitated diffusion- Diffusion through an integral protein Ion Channel Carrier Protein ii. Factors Influencing Diffusion Rate ~ 3 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit