Ch. 5 Biological Molecules (Exam 1).docx

5 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 110
Professor
D R.J O H N P E L E S

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Description
Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . Biological Molecules: Chapter 5 I. Carbohydrates a. Overview of Carbohydrates i. General functions ii. Structure & support iii. Energy storage & transfer b. Monosaccharides (Sugars) i. Glucose ii. Fructose iii. Galactose c. Disaccharides i. Maltose = Glucose + Glucose ii. Sucrose = Glucose + Fructose Chloroplast Starch and Cellulose Starch granuleAmylopectin (aring structuresse (b) Starch: 1–4 linkage of  glucose monomers monomersulose: 1–4 linkage of  glucose  Glucose Amylose  Glucose 1 m 4 Glycogen granules 4 Mitochondria 1 iii. Lactose = Glucose + (b) Glycogen: 0.5 m Galactose an animal polysaccharide d. Polysaccharides i. Storage Polysaccharides 1. Glycogen ( a) Starch: 2. Starch a plant polysaccharide ii. Structural Polysaccharides 1. Cellulose 2. Chitin Glycogen ~ 1 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . II. Proteins a. Overview of Proteins i. Building blocks 1. Amino acids ii. Functions 1. 8 main categories b. Polypeptide- Polymer of amino acids arranged in a specific sequence Different combinations of 20 amino acids produce thousands of proteins Enzymatic proteins Enzyme Example: Digestive enzymes catalyze the hydrolysis of bonds in food molecules. Function: Selective acceleration of chemical reactions Hormonal proteins Function: Coordination of an organism’s activities pancreas, causes other tissues to take up glucose, thus regulating blood sugar concentration High blood sugar blood sugar Insulin secreted c. Protein- One or more polypeptide chains folded and coiled into specific conformations Storage proteins Examples: Casein, the protein of milk, is the major Function: Storage of amino acidstorage proteins in their seeds. Ovalbumin is theve protein of egg white, used as an amino acid source for the developing embryo. Afor embryo minlbu Defensive proteins Virus Contractile and motor proteins Function: Movement Antibodies Function: Protection against disease Example: Antibodies inactivate and help destroy viruses and bacteria. 100 m Muscle tissue Actin Myosin ~ 2 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . Examples: Motor proteins are responsible for the undulations of cilia and flagella. Actin and myosin proteins are responsible for the contraction of muscles. Examples: Keratin is the protein of hair, horns, feathers, and other skin appendages. Insects and spiders use silk fibers to make their cocoons and webs,
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit