Biology
Course
BIOL 110
Professor
D R.J O H N P E L E S
Semester
Fall

Description
Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . Cell Structure: Chapter 6 I. Overview of Cells A. Cells and Life 1. All organisms consist of one or more cells 2. Smallest unit of organization that represents life 3. All cells come from pre-existing cells B. Cell Properties 1. Not all the same size and shape 2. Have very different functions 3. Cell size: 100nm - 100µm II. Why Are Cells So Small? Relative Size A. Surface Area to Volume Ratio Surface Area to Volume Ratio III. Prokaryotic vs. Eukaryotic Cells A. Organelle- Specialized compartment of a cell in which a particular process occurs B. Chromosome- Molecule of DNA associated with histone proteins Prokaryotic Eukaryotic Found in bacteria Found in all other organisms; other than bacteria Smaller than eukaryotes Larger than prokaryotes No organelles or internal membranes Organelles and internal membranes No chromosomes Chromosomes ~ 1 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . IV. Cell Structure A. Regions of the cell 1. Plasma/cell membrane 2. Nucleus i. Functions of the nucleus a. Contains most of the cell’s genes b. Site of ribosome production ii. Nucleolus- Region of nucleus where ribosomes are synthesized 3. Cytoplasm- Entire contents of the cell, minus the nucleus i. Cytoskeleton a. Functions Cytoskeleton 1. Structural support 2. Anchor organelles into fixed locations 3. Allow cell to change shape 4. Motility 5. Movements within the cells ii. Cytosol iii. Ribosomes iv. Cytoplasmic Organelles ~ 2 ~ Biology 110 Dr. Peles Date: / / . a. Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) b. Golgi bodies 1. Vesicle- Small membrane-bound sac that buds off of Golgi body c. Lysosomes d. Peroxisomes e. Vacuoles f. Mitochondria 1. Oxidative metabolism- Process by which cells extract ene
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit