BIOL 110 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Sister Chromatids, Cleavage Furrow, Red Algae

142 views9 pages
12 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Cells remain small to maximize their surface are to volume ratio. Need high eiency to maximize surface area. Organelles- specialized structures that are separate from the rest of cell by a phospholipid bilayer. Nucleus- most viable organelle, provides genetic information, surrounded by a double membrane called nuclear enevelope. Nucleolus- contains a very active group of genes that encode and transcribe ribosomal rna. Lysomes- disposal of waste, digestion, hydrolytic enzymes. Modiications take place in a network of membrane- bound chambers called endomembrane system. Smooth er- lipid synthesis and metabolism, carbohydrate synthesis, degrade toxins. Rough er- houses ribosomes on surface, protein assembly. Mitochondria and chloroplast were bacteria mutualism in host cell, Convergent evolution- process by which unrelated organisms that occupy similar enviroments evolve similar traits. Any eukaryote that is not plant, animal, fungus. Algal blooms i. e. zooxanethellae- mutalism with coral reefs. 2 nuclei microtubules that puncture host cell i. e. malaria. Similar to fungi i. e. potatoe nblight, fruit blights i. e. kelp.