Economics
Course
ECON 104
Professor
Adrienne Lapointe
Semester
Fall

Description
CHAPTER 12: Aggregate Expenditure and Output in the Short Run (SR) ΔPrice Level (P) ● If the price level increases, real wealth decreases and the C function shifts downward ● Real Wealth (YEAR) = (Nominal Wealth(YEAR))/(CPI/100) ● Ex: Suppose consumption decreases by $2 trillion ---> Real wealth falls The Marginal Propensity to Save: MPS=Δs/ΔYd ● MPC=Slope ● If you know the MPC, you can solve for the MPS: ○ Yd=C+S ○ ΔY=ΔC+ΔS ○ 1 = MPC+MPS ○ If MPC=0.75, 1=0.75+MPS ○ MPS=0.25 + - + + - - C=f(Ys, T, Wealth, Ye, P, r) + Means that when the variable in the function increases, C increases - Means that when the variable in the function increases, C decreases Investment Expenditures ● AE=C+I+G+NX=AD ● Approximately 17% of RGDP ● Includes spending by firms on: ○ Office buildings, factories, machines, delivery trucks, software, ect. ○ Inventories ○ Research and development (R & D) ● Investment = ΔCapital Stock ○ A nation can accelerate economic growth by increasing the capital stock = investment: PPF shifts outward ○ Investment expenditures increase the nation’s future standard of living ○ Investment over the Great Recession fell dramatically Investment Demand I=f(r) : r is negative ● Factors that affect the I function ○ ΔReal interest rate: r (move along I demand curve) ○ Shift the I demand: ■ ΔExpectations of future profitability ■ ΔTechnological change ■ ΔBusiness Taxes ΔReal Interest Rate ( r ): ● A firm will undertake I if Expected Real Return on I is greater than or equal to Interest Cost ● Ex: ○ Suppose Home Depot wants to open several new stores (5) in PA. ○ Expected Return in I for Part 1 is 12% and the Cost of Borrowing is 5%, that makes this part profitable ○ Expected Return for Part 2 is 12% and the Cost of Borrowing is 15%, this is not profitable. ● As real interest rates rise, less investment projects will be profitable. ΔExpectations of future profitability (EFP) ● Reflect firms’ confidence in the future ○ Optimistic: I demand shifts right ○ Pessimistic: I demand shifts left ● Keynes: I is driven by “animal spirits” ○ Animal spirits reflect business confidence Technological Change ● New technologies/inventions provide less costly ways of producing output ○ “Reducing cost of producing output” ● Result: Investment demand shifts rightward ● Examples: ○ Internet ○ Wireless ○ Computer/Smartphones ○ Robots ΔBusiness Takes (t) ● T is the tax rate on a firm’s revenue ● I decisions are based upon after-tax profits ○ Profits=Revenues-Costs ● Ex: Suppose Congress cuts taxes on businesses ○ I shifts right ○ Currently, t=36% ○ Remember: t does not equal T Government Expenditures as a component of AD ● AD=C+I+G+NX ● Government expenditures (G): include local, state, and federal expenditures ● G is autonomous with respect to Y ● When G increases, AD shifts right Net Exports (NX) as a component of AD ● NX=Exports(X) - Imports (M) ● NX are usually affected by the business cycle Net Exports and Relative Growth in Price Levels ● Assume: X(US)=M(US), both growing at the same rate ● Suppose π(US) 0, AD shifts to the right ● If Δ Taxes < 0, AD shifts to the right ΔConsumption ( C ) ΔWealth > 0 ΔTaxes (T) < 0 ΔYe > 0 Δr < 0 ΔInvestment ( I ) ΔEFP > 0 ΔTechnology > 0 ΔBusiness Taxes (t) < 0 Δr < 0 ΔNet Exports (NX) %ΔRGDP(US) < %ΔRGDP(ROW) ΔE¥/$ < 0 (the $ depreciates against other currencies) LRAS ● Potential output is determined by the ○ Number of workers ○ Capital stock ○ Available technology ● LRAS is vertical ○ Changes in the price level and do not affect the level of real GDP in the LR ○ Ex: As the price level rises LRAS remains unchanged ● Shifts in LRAS: a Δ in potential output ○ Δresource base ■ Δ number of workers ■ Δ in the size of the capital stock ○ Technological Δ and innovation SRAS ● Define: SRAS shows the relationship in the SR between the price level and the quantity of real GDP supplied by firms ● When prices rise in the SR from P = 100 to P = 110, firms produce more output because input prices are sticky or fixed ○ Why are they sticky or fixed? ■ It is difficult to preduct future inflation when negotiating wages and prices of inputs ● Wages and prices of inputs are often set by contracts for one year or more ● Some firms adjust their prices more slowly than others (ex menu costs) ● Example: You own a Coffee Shop ○ Suppose AD is increasing in US economy ■ This increases the price of lattes, mochas, espressos, ect ■ Input costs are very slow to adjust ● Profits and revenues increase ● You have an incentive to increase output ● Profits (increase) = Revenues (increase) - Costs (unchanged) Conclusion ● A rising price level leads to a larger quantity of goods and services supplied in the short run ● If firms and workers had perfect foresight Shifts in SRAS ● An unexpected change in the price of an important natural resource ○ Ex: an increase in the price of oil (supply shock) increases the cost of production ○ As a result, less is produced at every price level ● Increase in the labor force and/or the capital stock (SRAS shifts right) ● Technological changes that increase productivity (SRAS shifts right) ● An increase in the expected future price level (SRAS shifts left) ○ Workers will ask for higher wages and firms will increase their output prices ● Workers and firms adjust to errors in past expectations about the price level (due to incorrect predictions) ○ If prices are higher than expected, SRAS shifts left ■ Workers will ask for higher wages and firms will increase their output prices ○ If prices are lower than expected, SRAS shifts right ■ Workers will be willing to work for lower wages and firms will lower their output prices Summary ● Factors that shift LRAS to the right: ○ Increase in size of resource base: ■ Increase in the number of workers ■ Increase in the size of the capital stock ○ Technological Δ/Innovation (increases worker productivity) ● Factors that shift SRAS to the right ○ Factors that LRAS to the right ○ Unexpected decrease in the price of an important natural resource ○ Adjustments of workers and firms to errors in past expectations about the price level ■ Recession: workers accept lower wages => firms cut prices (SRAS shifts right) ● This is how the economy returns to LR Equilibrium AD/LRAS/SRAS Model ● Ex 1: An increase in AD and the automatic adjustment of prices and real output ○ An increase in G or decrease in r results in AD shifting right at P=100 (shortage) ○ Firms step up production to try to meet the increase in AD (expansion) ○ Why? Output prices rise (shortage) relative to input prices (sticky/fixed); %Δprofits > 0 ○ As output and prices increase, the economy moves from E1 to E2, the SR equilibrium, where AD2 = SRAS1 ○ From SR to LR: Workers and firms will adjust to the price level being higher than expected ■ Workers will ask for higher wages; firms will increase their prices ■ As a result, SRAS shifts left until Y equals Y bar at the new equilibrium: AD2 = SRAS2 = LRAS at E3 Ex 2: A decrease in AD and the automatic adjustment of prices and output (no policy intervention) ● A decrease in G or increase in r results in AD shifting left at P = 100 (surplus) ● Firms cut production and lay off workers (recession) ● Why? Inventories build up and firms are forced to cut their prices/ Output prices fall (surplus) relative to input pries (sticky/fixed); %Δprofits <0 ● As output and prices fall, the economy moves from E1 to E2, the SR equilibrium, where AD2 = SRAS1 ● From SR to LR: Workers and firms will adjust to the price level being lower than expected ○ Workers will be willing to accept lower wages; firms will accept lower prices ○ As a result, SRAS shifts rightward until Y is equal to Y bar at the new LR equilibrium where AD2 = SRAS2 = LRAS at E3 Ex 3: Oil Price Shock ● An increase in the price of oil, increases the cost of production. SRAS shifts to the left ● At P = 100 there is a shortage. Prices rise and we move up along the curve. ● Output falls and prices rise; the economy moves from E1 to E2, SR equilibrium where AD1 = SRAS2. This combination of inflation and recession is referred to as stagflation ○ As price level rises from E1 to E2 we move up long the AD because of the NX effect, Wealth effect, interest rate effect. ● From SR to LR: ○ With the economy in recession (falling output and rising unemployment), workers will be willing to accept lower wages; firms will accept lower prices ○ As a result, SRAS shifts rightward from SRAS2 to SRAS1 until Y equals Y bar where: AD1 = SRAS1 = LRAS at E1 = E2 Summary ● The automatic adjustment mechanism when Y does not equal Y Bar ● A shock to the economy occurs and AD or SRAS shift: ○ Is there a surplus or a shortage? ■ Impact on price level? ■ How do firms respond? ○ From SR to LR equilibrium (LRAS = SRAS = AD) ■ Revision of expectations for the price level which results in the adjustment in output prices and wages ● SRAS brings economy back to LR quilibrium ○ What is the alternative to waiting for the automatice mechanism to end recession? ■ Monetary Policy (Federal Reserve: Δinterest rates) ■ Fiscal Policy (Congress and The Presiden
More Less

Related notes for ECON 104

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit