Psychology
Course
PSYCH 270
Professor
Mr.Andrew Scherff
Semester
Spring

Description
CoreyYoung Abnormal Psychology 270 Mr. Andy Scherff 8 February 2013 Essay Responses 1. Describe how effective psychological therapy is in treating psychological disorders. Next, discuss three problems with psychology’s diagnostic system. Finally, discuss two problems determining the effectiveness of psychological treatment. i. Behavioral therapies are the most effective for phobias because of styles such as flooding- desensitizing the patient to the phobia by slowly exposing the phobia with encouraging, reassuring, and soothing discussion. Cognitive Behavioral therapy is most effective for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder because the therapy approaches deviant, distressful, and dysfunctional behavior and attempts to change the patient’s thought process of the ritual so the patient no longer feels the compulsion to perform the behavior. ii. Problems with the diagnostic system occur because of the clinician has to make qualitative judgments of what he or she considers deviant, distressful, dysfunctional, and sometimes dangerous behavior. These judgments can vary by time and culture. EX. Homosexuality was ND considered a disorder up until the DMS- 2 Edition, a working handbook or all recognized mental disorders with operational and conceptual definitions and criteria of the symptoms. Clinicians must determine the diagnostic from “labels”. EX. He or she must distinguish whether the patient has GeneralAnxiety Disorder or a more specific anxiety like Panic Disorder from shared symptoms. iii. Problems occur with any professional help because doctors may differ in therapeutic practice and patients may vary in motivation for therapy. EX. Apatient may find more motivation with Cognitive Behavioral therapy than simply Behavioral therapy. 2. Discuss cognitive and biological factors associated with panic attacks. How would you treat a patient’s Panic Disorder? i. Aperson suffering from a Panic Disorder may interpret sweaty hands, a racing heart, or even an upset stomach as a trigger into a panic attack. They start believe they are “losing control”, and get into the mentality that “it is happening again.” ii. Studies have shown that people suffering from Panic Disorder have irregular activity of a stress hormone that is a neurotransmitter in most sympathetic neurons in the central nervous system. Thus, causing the person to circuit a “fight or flight stimulus” and stimulate an “alarm and escape response”, pushing him or her into a panic attack. iii. To treat a patient with Panic Disorder, I would teach the patient relaxation techniques such as Pranayama, a specialized yoga focusing on breathing, which literally translates to “breath-control”.Also, I would encourage the patient that they have control over their own body and attempt to redirect their thinking of a potential panic attack into reasonable causes for his or her sensations. 3. Discuss three irrational thoughts you would try to “fix” with a patient diagnosed with GeneralizedAnxiety Disorder and how you would treat these thoughts. i. Aperson suffering from GAD will encounter some common thought processes. For example, “it is best to assume the worst”, I would encourage the patient that not every situation will turn out the way he or she plans but that does not necessarily mean the outcome will be the worst. ii. “I am not safe until proven safe”, I would discourage this thought process by a Behavioral therapy. I would give him or her, a pyramid of goals that will diminish this irrational thought over time. iii. “If I am not competent in all that I do, I have achieved nothing.” I would use a Cognitive Behavioral therapy; I would attempt to change his or her standard of thinking of accomplishments to eliminate some of the pressure that leads to anxiety. 4. Discuss the cognitive and behavioral roots of OCD; explain how you would treat a patient’s OCD. i. The cognitive roots of OCD stem from a person attempting to relieve him of her from a negative feeling by performing a behavior or ritual. For example, someone could develop a compulsion of washing their hands by trying to relieve the mentality that they will get sick from the germs on their hands. ii. People with OCD are believed to stumble upon their compulsions randomly. For example, if a parent catches their baby choking at night he or she may develop a compulsion to check on the child to reassure him or herself that the baby is breathing and is safe. Or if the parent sees the baby doing something potentially dangerous, they may develop a protective compulsion over their child. iii. To treat a patient with OCD I would attempt to change the patient’s mentality by helping him or her steer away from the reassuring behavior. I
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 270

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit