Psychology
Course
PSYCH 270
Professor
Mr.Andrew Scherff
Semester
Spring

Description
CoreyYoung Mr. Andrew Scherff Abnormal Psychology 29 March 2013 Test #2 Essay Responses • Discuss the Cognitive Behavioral view of how a SubstanceAbuse Disorder starts and components of a Cognitive Behavioral Treatment program. i. ASubstanceAbuse Disorder, from a Cognitive Behavioral view, begins with a person experiencing a euphoric feeling from the drug. The temporary reduction of tension of these feelings increases the likelihood of the person using the drug to relieve the tension. This behavior progresses from the user attempting to self- medicate. The user develops the mentality that the drug diminishes stress and expects that the drug will be rewarding, which increases the person’s motivation to continue using. Thus, the person loses the desire to quit and falls into a series of using and abusing the drug. ii. Treating a person with a SubstanceAbuse Disorder with a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy includes a behavioral self-control treatment program which trains the person to regulate his or her usage. The person is taught to keep track of his or her behavior by writing down all attributes associated with the usage. The program requires the person to keep a personal journal and report the times, locations, people, and emotions all surrounding the behavior. Thus, the therapist and client can review the behavior for patterns and apply coping strategies when situations or events occur that make the person want to use again. These strategies help the client with his or her problem solving skills to use other methods to relieve stress by relaxation techniques and diminish the will to use with self-assertiveness. • Describe the bio-psycho-social model for how a sociopath develops. Describe how you would treat it and two issues with the treatment ofAntisocial Personality Disorder. i. The biological aspect to anAntisocial Personality Disorder demonstrates deficient function in the frontal lobes and lower serotonin levels causing impulsive and aggressive behavior. The psychological aspect shows abnormalities in automatic responses with anxiety from responding to danger. Thus, the person engages in reckless behavior to experience anxiety.Also, the person shows difficulty in recognizing emotions of others because the person cannot detect warning signs from situations and environments, and because the person is likely to hold attitudes that unintentionally trivialize or offend others. The social aspect contributes through modeling behavior and unintentional encouragement. The person’s primary socialization could even intentionally reward aggressive, reckless, or careless behaviors.All of these aspects influence the development of not only the disorder, but borderline sociopath because the behavior will worsen due to aggression, truancy from typical expectations, lack of appropriate judgment, and failure to learn from experiences. ii. Issues with treating anAntisocial Personality Disorder arise because any form of treatment is likely to be ineffective. Techniques of treatment do not typically show improvement because the client does not find his or her behavior as inappropriate and the client will be aggressive in defense.Also, few individuals seek medical attention specifically for the disorder because most are forced into therapy or treatment by family, law enforcement, or employers. I would treat anAntisocial Personality Disorder by attempting to change the patient’s mentality about his or her disorder. I would try to help the patient understand how he or she creates his or her own problems and how the patient’s distorted perceptions prevent the patient from seeing his or herself the way others view the patient. My goal being to improve the patient’s relationship with his or herself, the patient’s family, and the patient’s work/social environment. I would teach the patient self-observing skills to recognize irresponsible or offensive behavior so he or she would be more capable of identifying people’s emotions. • Discuss two biological causes of Schizophrenia and the Cognitive Behavioral Treatment for Schizophrenia. i. Biological causes Schizophrenia are genetic by nature but are influenced by the nurture. Brain abnormalities suggest that the neurotransmitter, dopamine, fires too often in neurons, transmitting too many messages. Other causes are from exposure to viruses before birth interrupting proper brain development of the fetus. The effects of the virus could remain quiet until puberty and be activated by changes in levels of hormones. Schizophrenia can only be passed on through genetics but exposure to behaviors can be learned and develop over time. ii. The Cognitive Behavioral Therapeutic approach attempts to change how the individual views and reacts to his or her hallucinatory experiences by guiding the individual to interpret the experience more accurately. This goal is to make the experiences less powerful and destructive. The steps to achieve this goal include educating and challenging inadequate ideas and hallucinations; the individual learns how to cope with sensations. This therapeutic approach is most effective in combination of the practice and medication. • Discuss the biological effects of heroin and its vicious cycle of addiction. *The question is referring to how heroin affects your brain after you inject it into your body. For the second part, discuss what the withdrawal symptoms are and why they are so desperately avoided. Discuss how the drug (taken to initially relieve stress) causes additional stressors (think family, job, housing, etc). i. The effects of using heroin are referred to as a rush, bringing a feeling of “ecstasy”, which is followed by several hours of a “high”, bringing feelings such as relaxation and happiness. The biological effects are caused by the heroin tricking the neurons in the person’s brain into thinking that he or she is receiving great amounts of endorphins, a neurotransmitter that reduces emotional stress, tension, and the sensation of pain. Heroin has other biological effects by suppressing the central nervous system that can cause the user to begin to breathe at a slower rate to the point where he or she reaches the point of respiratory failure. ii. Dependence of heroin can develop only from a few hits of using. The user becomes addicted quickly because of the desire to feel the initial rush and to avoid the vicious withdrawal symptoms. The symptoms include, but are not limited to, restlessness, anxiety, sweating,
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 270

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit