Sociology
Course
SOC 001
Professor
Mrs.Vippy Yee
Semester
Fall

Description
CoreyYoung Intro to Sociology Session 1:00-2:15pm Mrs. Vippy Yee 4 December 2013 Assessment #2 Chapters 5-8 Chapter 5: Leadership • Sociological Leader- people who influence others’behaviors, opinions, and attitudes. i. Instrumental Leaders: keeps group on track to meet goals. ii. Expressive Leaders: tried to motivate group to achieve goals. iii. Leadership styles change as situations change. • Authoritarian: gives instructions with little to no information. • Democratic: tries to gain a group consensus. • Laissez-Faire: hands off leader, lets the group lead itself. • Conformative Studies i. Asch Study: a line comparison test experimenting on conformity under pressure. ii. Milgram Study: authority test experimenting conformity in power of a situation. Chapter 6: Deviance in Society • Deviance is violation of societal norms. What is deviant to some may not be deviant to others. *Not the act, but the reaction. i. Norms make societal life possible by making behavior predictable and controlled. • Stigma- Ervin Goffman, a blemich on one’s identity a violation of norms of appearance and ability. • Explanations of Deviance: i. Sociobiology- looks for answers inside individuals, like personality disorders. ii. Psychologist: focuses on conditions within individuals, like personality disorders. iii. Sociologist: uses environmental factors to explain individuals; answer is not within the individual, but within what the individual was exposed to in society. • Symbolic Interaction i. Control Theory- Travis Hirschi says we all want to commit deviant acts but we don’t because of our inner and outer controls. ii. Labeling Theory: Howard Becker says labels propel us into deviance or can divert us way from it. iii. Five was to neutralize/reject labels • Denial of responsibilities • Denial of injury • Denial of victim • Condemnation of the condemners • Appeal to higher loyalties Chapter 7: Global Stratification • Social Stratification: a system in which groups of people are divided into layers according to relative power, property, & prestige. *Stratified by categories and social class. i. Slavery- causes and conditions varied around the world. ii. Caste- boundaries are rigid. *Hard to change current situation. iii. Class- boundaries are fluid. *One can easily move from one class to another depending on situations and circumstances. • Social Class: a large group of people who rank closely to one another in wealth, power, and prestige, where wealth is calculated by a person’s assets, and prestige is best determined by education. • Functionalist Perspe
More Less

Related notes for SOC 001

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit