Psychology
Course
PSY 0035
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Winter

Description
Research Methods: Unit 1 Theories: explain and organize previous findings, allow for predictions, guide research in a new direction, identify interventions to alter behavior, are parsimonious, are falsifiable and tentative Parsimonious: balanced between simplicity and goodness of explanation Induction: reasoning from many specific cases (observations) to a general rule (theory) Ex. 2, 4, 6… “I think that the rule is +2” Deduction: reasoning from a general rule (theory) to a specific case Ex. I think that the rule is +2, I will test if 7 is included Assumptions of Science • Determinism: all events have causes (though they may be very complicated) • Regularity: these causal relations are stable, they don’t just come and go • Discoverability: it is possible to learn about these causal relations • Rationality: the way we can learn about these causal relations is through a process of logical scientific discovery Obstacles to discovering causality… Mechanism/Mediator/Intervening Variable: variable that comes in-between two variables Ex. SmokingChange in DNA (mediator)Lung Cancer Alternative Cause: some other factor causes the same
More Less

Related notes for PSY 0035

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit