Department
Dance
Course Code
07:203:133
Professor
Ersoz
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Kayla Davenport
Writing Assignment #4
There were many differences between the two dance styles presented in the videos for
lecture. Within the first video, I saw older men who belly dance. They wore red, layered skirts
that acquire intricate designs. They also wore white button down shirts and some type of bells
around their waist. Their movements consisted of swirling and periodic moments where they
would be shaking. In addition, they kept their arms out out to the side and occasionally walked in
circles. Several of these movements reminded me of when we were lectured on the Whirling
dervishes. Going back to the video, there were moments where one of the dancers was on the
floor. I noticed within their movements, the dancers interacted with the men playing the
instruments. They also were utilizing finger cymbals as they were dancing. The environment of
these dancers surprised me, which seemed to be at a public park. However, one thing I did notice
was that there were only men and children, no women. In regards to the second video, I saw
many different aspects. The male completing the dance was a younger male than the two who
were dancing within the first video. In terms of costume, it was more revealing and feminine.
The dancer had flags that resembled wings and green attire, which exposed his chest. As for
movements, they were more upbeat than what I noticed in the first video. The dancer utilized the
“wings” he had throughout the dance by twirling them. The way it appeared as he was turning
was captivating. The male dancer also did many fluid movements within his torso area and arms,
hip shaking and popping motions. I believe these movements were appropriate for the setting he
was performing, which seemed to be a ceremony
Within the lecture, Koceks were described as being young boys who dance and had a
feminine like appearance. They grew their hair out and dressed like females. This peculiar dance
style amazed travelers. Specifically, within the text, an English traveler talked about the time
they saw the Koceks dancing. He speaks about their appearance, describing the clothing worn
being rich, either being silk, gold or silver. He also addresses their hair, stating that, Their heads
are not shaven quite close, but very lovely locks are left round, which at the other times they
wear up close, and are unseen,” (Bent). This traveler also talks about the various movements that
were aforementioned, such as moving in a circle and turning. Another traveler speaks about a
performance they saw as well. They stated that there were young Turkish boys dancing. He
states that some were dress as women, while others were dressed as clowns. This verifies what
was noticed within the modern video of a Kocek dancing,
Work Cited:
James T. Bent, ed Dr. John Covel’s Diary (1670-1679). Early Voyages and Travelers in the
Levant, London, 1893, 213-14 cited in Metin And, Turkish Dancing, 139-140
MrCideli. Kastamonu Cide Köcekleri Koclarim Benim.” YouTube, YouTube, 28 Sept. 2009,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQxtBXtO5_8.
Segah, zenne. Zenne Segah. YouTube, YouTube, 26 Nov. 2015,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JUYTiEr2HE.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version