PHI 151 Midterm: PHI review

4 Pages

Department
PHI - Philosophy
Course Code
PHI 151
Professor
Dr.Meyers

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
PHI 151: Intro to Philosophy
Review for Midterm Exam
Socrates (Plato):
What is the Socratic Method? How does it work? What is the goal? What does Socrates
mean when he refers to himself as the gadfly of Athens?
o1. Socratic Method: a method used by Socrates that involved interrogation
and conceptual analysis.
o2. It works by asking questions (mainly definitions and pointing out
incoherence) and then used the definitions to determine whether the answer
is correct or not.
o3. The goal is to prove that the person being questioned actually knows what
they’re talking about.
o4. The gadfly bites the horse and wakes it from sleeping; Socrates is the same
way in that he questions people and wakes them from their intellectual
slumber (reality check); tries to get them to think about truth, wisdom, and
virtue.
In what sense does Socrates claim that he is wiser than most people?
oSocrates claims to be wiser than most people because he KNOWS he is
ignorant while others are also ignorant but falsely believe they have
knowledge
What is Euthyphro’s first replies to the question of what piety is? Why does Socrates
object to that?
o1. “doing as I’m doing; that is to say, prosecuting anyone who is guilty of
murder or sacrilege”
o2. Socrates objects because it is an example, not a definition.
What is Euthyphro’s final definition of piety? What challenge does Socrates present to
this definition? (Be sure to explain both sides of the dilemma.)
o1. Final definition: Pious is unanimously god-loved; impious is
unanimously god-hated
o2. The gods love something and that makes it pious (but then ANYTHING
could be pious) or a thing is pious and that makes the gods love it but it
doesn’t explain what sort of things inspire the gods’ approval.
How does Socrates argue that he would not have intentionally corrupted the youth?
oSocrates would not intentionally corrupt the youth because then they would
have turned around and harmed him (because he harmed them first), and if
Socrates had harmed someone, the family would have complained, but no
families had complained.
Why does Socrates think it would be unjust to ignore the law and escape from prison?
(He gives two general reasons.)
o1. It is unjust to harm innocent people and violate a fair agreement; laws
protect citizens (which means if he disobeyed the laws, then everybody
would disobey and undermine the laws and people would get harmed) and
Athens protected him, so he obeys (never had a reason to complain about his
life in Athens so he can’t complain about his punishment)
In what sense did Socrates agree to obey the laws of Athens? Explain.
oHe compares his relationship to Athens with a child and parents. Athens
gave him benefits and protected him, so he is respectfully obligated to obey
the laws of Athens.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PHI 151: Intro to Philosophy Review for Midterm Exam Socrates (Plato):  What is the Socratic Method? How does it work? What is the goal? What does Socrates mean when he refers to himself as the gadfly of Athens? o 1. Socratic Method: a method used by Socrates that involved interrogation and conceptual analysis. o 2. It works by asking questions (mainly definitions and pointing out incoherence) and then used the definitions to determine whether the answer is correct or not. o 3. The goal is to prove that the person being questioned actually knows what they’re talking about. o 4. The gadfly bites the horse and wakes it from sleeping; Socrates is the same way in that he questions people and wakes them from their intellectual slumber (reality check); tries to get them to think about truth, wisdom, and virtue.  In what sense does Socrates claim that he is wiser than most people? o Socrates claims to be wiser than most people because he KNOWS he is ignorant while others are also ignorant but falsely believe they have knowledge  What is Euthyphro’s first replies to the question of what piety is? Why does Socrates object to that? o 1. “doing as I’m doing; that is to say, prosecuting anyone who is guilty of murder or sacrilege” o 2. Socrates objects because it is an example, not a definition.  What is Euthyphro’s final definition of piety? What challenge does Socrates present to this definition? (Be sure to explain both sides of the dilemma.) o 1. Final definitionPious is unanimously god-loved; impious is unanimously god-hated o 2. The gods love something and that makes it pious (but then ANYTHING could be pious) or a thing is pious and that makes the gods love it but it doesn’t explain what sort of things inspire the gods’ approval.  How does Socrates argue that he would not have intentionally corrupted the youth? o Socrates would not intentionally corrupt the youth because then they would have turned around and harmed him (because he harmed them first), and if Socrates had harmed someone, the family would have complained, but no families had complained.  Why does Socrates think it would be unjust to ignore the law and escape from prison? (He gives two general reasons.) o 1. It is unjust to harm innocent people and violate a fair agreement; laws protect citizens (which means if he disobeyed the laws, then everybody would disobey and undermine the laws and people would get harmed) and Athens protected him, so he obeys (never had a reason to complain about his life in Athens so he can’t complain about his punishment)  In what sense did Socrates agree to obey the laws of Athens? Explain. o He compares his relationship to Athens with a child and parents. Athens gave him benefits and protected him, so he is respectfully obligated to obey the laws of Athens. Plato (Phaedo):  According to Plato, what is knowledge? What it true knowledge of? o Knowledge of the forms  Why does Plato say that the true philosopher separates his soul from his body? o MAIN thing: the body is an obstacle to TRUE knowledge (true knowledge is of the forms; abstract); concrete (physical) things are just imperfect copies of the forms o Only through intellect alone  Explain the distinction between the forms and particular physical things. o Forms are abstract (ideas, but Socrates believes they are real) o Physical things are imperfect copies o Dog-ness (the essence of being a dog); dogs, dogs, dogs (copies of the idea)  What is learning, according to Plato? Explain. o Learning is just recollection. You already have the knowledge when you’re born, but you recall the knowledge as you go along.  What does this say about the nature of the soul? o The nature of the soul is superior to the body, and it’s not physical. Therefore, because you already have all the information you need to know, you soul is superior to any physical properties.  What happens to the soul of one who spends his life indulging in physical pleasure? How does one ensure that one’s soul will escape the physical world? o Their soul will take on quasi-physical properties, reincarnated etc. o Soul exists even when the body is destroyed Montero  Explain the “inverted spectrum problem” o The inverted spectrum problem is the problem that we cannot experience someone else’s experiences unless we ARE that person. It’s impossible to know how someone else experiences something, even if they tell us.  What if scientists could discover perfect correlations between mental processes and brain processes? Would that solve the mind-body problem? Why/not? o I don’t think it would because correlation does not equal causation. Just because there is a correlation between the two does not DEFINITELY define the causes between the two.  What is the most prominent objection to interactive dualism? o It violates the laws of conservation; if non-physical event cause a physical event, then new energy would enter the system but the laws of conservation states that energy can only be converted, not made new or destroyed.  Is there any scientific evidence that could prove dualism to be true? Explain.  What is “qualia”? o Qualia is the felt quality of subjective experience; p
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit