PSY 274 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Abstraction, Egocentrism, Display Rules

110 views9 pages

Document Summary

Freud believes behavior is motivated by the need to satisfy (primarily unconscious) basic drives. He assumed that even young children have sexual nature that motivates their behavior and influences their relationships with other people. He believed that psychic energy (biologically based, instinctually drives that fuel behavior, thoughts and feelings) becomes focused in different erogenous zones(areas of body that are erotically sensitive) during each stage: freud"s personality development: I want what i want when i want . Ego: (late 1st year) needs to resolve conflicts between the id"s demands for immediate gratification. Trying to find ways to satisfy the id that accord to the demands of the real world. Superego: (3-6) what we think of as our conscious. Enables child to control their behavior on the basis of believes about right and wrong. Based on the child"s, internalization, or adoption of parents rules and standards for acceptable and unacceptable behavior: freud"s stages of psychosexual development: