Geography (83)
GEOG 301 (9)
Patzewich (1)

Geography Exam 2 Notes.docx

24 Pages
Unlock Document

Texas A&M University
GEOG 301

Geography Exam 2 Notes Chapter Eleven The Florida Peninsula A Florida a The Sunshine State b Tallahassee capital 180000 c Jacksonville Largest city822000 d 188 population the 27 state in 1845 f FL g Beaches fish sea horses Cape Canaveral oranges gators waterskiing golf car racing B Intro a Very flat limestone surface with lots of rain i 5060 in b Artesian springs in central lakes region C Florida Settlement tha Spanish at st Augustine in 16 century b US purchased Florida form Spain c North Florida i Plantation agriculture ii Smallscale backwoods farmers iii Migrated west d Peninsular Florida i Sawmp ii Attracted sunseeking northerners withiii Built RRs hotels winter resorts D The Everglades sta Seminoles 1 occupants i Resisted OK territory ii Retreated to everglades b Around Lake Okeechobee i 1800s drained swamp ii Sugar cane plantations iii Winter vegetables c Unintended Consequences i Fertile swamp soil needs more moisture ii Serious hurricane hazard iii Everglades are an open marsh not a forested swamp iv Conversion to cropland required construction of drainage ditches E Urban Growth on the East Coast a Palm Beach to Miami i Winter tourist industry ii Warm climate sandy beaches iii Efforts of one man Henry M Flagler 1 Built RRs from Jacksonville to Miami iv Elegant Hotels v Great Florida boom in early 1920s b SW to Key West i Florida keys ii PR then overseas highway iii Steamship to Havana Cuba until Castro in 1958 F Hotels Demise Royal Poinciana at Palm Beach a 1925 fire claimed nearby hotels b Rebuilt Breakers Hotel i Fireresistant construction ii Bathroom with each guest room c 1929 stock market crash and great depression G Florida Keys a In 1933 and RR b Destroyed by hurricane in 1935 H Key West a The end of the line b Historic link to Havana Cuba I Floridas West Coast a Slightly cooler with less sand b Winter tourist industry i RR from Jacksonvilletampa in 1880s ii Phosphate limestone industry produces fertilizer iii Tampas port developed during Spanish American War of 1898 iv Coastal mangrove swamps discouraged development J Mangrove a Semiaquatic tree b Seeds germinate while still attached to tree c Forms a dense tangle of roots d Deterrent to coastline erosion e Habitat for wildlife K Sanibel Island a Seashell collecting L Citrus Ridges a On beach ridges and inland sand hills b Frozen concentrates in 1940s fruit juice for americans i Climate like FLs and rapid transportation to markets RRs ii Orchards being squeezed southward
More Less

Related notes for GEOG 301

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.