Professor Ramos Texas History
STUDY GUIDE – EXAM #2
Exam #2 will cover lectures and Texas: Crossroads of North America, Sleuthing the Alamo, and Many
Faces of Texas readings from Sept 19-Oct 3. Below is a list of questions to help guide your studying.
The format of the exam will consist of 60 multiple choice and true/false questions or statements. Some
will focus on comparing/contrasting two groups or people; defining an event, person, or term;
explaining the significance/legacy of a person or event; explaining causes; or explaining the success or
failures of certain people or events.
You will have the entire class period (75 minutes) to complete the exam. The exam takes place on
TUESDAY, 10/15/2013, 3:55-5:10PM, 215 ANIN. PLEASE BRING A NO. 2 PENCILAND
SCANTRON FORM 882-E (GREEN COLOR) TO THE EXAM.
MULTIPLE CHOICE/ TRUE OR FALSE SECTION
1. Describe the general background of the Old 300.
2. Define empresario.
3. What was the Imperial Colonization Law of 1823?
4. Besides Euroamerican (Anglo) and Mexican, what were the nationalities of some
of the other empresarios?
5. What requirements did immigrants to Mexico have to satisfy?
6. What attracted many immigrants from the U.S. to Mexican Texas?
7. Who were the most successful empresarios?
8. Why did Gen. Mier y Teran state thatAmericans who immigrated to Texas
walked around with the U.S. constitution in their pockets?
9. Define the War and Peace Parties. Who were prominent members of each?
10. What was the status of slaves in Texas after 1827?
11. Why was the Law ofApril 6, 1830 passed, and what did this law state?
12. What was the first Battle ofAnahuac (1832) about, and why didn't most Texans
13. What did the San Felipe Convention of spring 1833 seek, and why?
14. Why were many Tejanos concerned about the growing Euroamerican presence in
Texas by the 1830s?
15. Why did Stephen F.Austin take so long to support the Texas rebels who
advocated war with Mexico?
16. Why was Stephen F.Austin arrested?
17. Why did the Texas rebels at Gonzales refuse to give up the town's cannon?
18. What does "Come and Take It" refer to?
19. What were some of the reasons that Texans supported rebelling against the
Mexican Centralist government in October 1835?
20. How successful were the Texas rebels in the month of October? Why?
21. Why was the Consultation of (Nov) 1835 organized?
22. What type of ruler was SantaAnna, and what role did he play in spar