[CHE 201] Comprehensive Fall guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com
• Central science; understanding it can facilitate the understanding of other sciences.
• The study of matter and the changes it undergoes
• Systematic approach to experimentation
• Anything with mass that occupies space
• Classification of matter
▪ Form of matter with a constant composition and distinct properties
▪ Can be elements or compounds
o Ca▯’t ▯e separated into simpler substances by any chemical means (indivisible)
• Elements form compounds (fixed/same composition)
o Elements COMBINE together to form compounds; these elements are called
o Substance composed of atoms of 2 or more elements chemically united in fixed
o Ex, water H20.
o Co▯pou▯ds ▯a▯’t ▯e separated ▯y a▯y physi▯al properties (▯oili▯g, freezi▯g,
filtering); only by chemical reactions.
▪ 2 or more substances that retain their distinct properties.
▪ Do▯’t have a ▯o▯sta▯t ▯o▯positio▯.
▪ Homogenous mixture (solutions): same and uniform; ex, milk, soda.
▪ Heterogeneous mixture: not uniform, visible distinction; ex, sand & iron.
▪ Mixtures can be separated by physical means.
o States of matter
▪ Solid & liquid: condensed phases- molecules are close to each other, little motion.
▪ Liquid Gas: fluids- molecules are far apart
find more resources at oneclass.com