CRMJ 254 Study Guide - Final Guide: General Counsel, Hallalhotsoot, Consumer Protection

69 views11 pages
Final Exam Study Guide CRMJ 254
Concepts to know for Multiple-Choice Questions:
Prosecutors: the goeret’s represetaties i riial adjudiatios file riial harges
on behalf of state)
Represent the interests of the state & its people; high profile position (protecting public
from criminals)
Work in the trial courts of the federal (jurisdiction over federal crimes) and state
systems (jurisdiction over state crimes)
Federal Prosecutor Hierarchy = U.S. Attorney General U.S. Attorneys Assistant U.S.
Attorneys
U.S. Attorney General
Considered chief lawyer of the U.S. government; member of
presidet’s aiet; head of the departet of Justie ad the federal ourt sste
(supervises all prosecutors within the District Courts of the federal court system & sets
policies & priorities for prosecutors in the federal court system); Appointed by
President, confirmed by Senate
U.S. Attorneys
Head prosecutor for each of the District Courts in the federal court
system (1 assigned to each of the 94 District Courts; currently there are 93); Supervise
the activities of prosecuting attorneys working in their court; Appointed by President,
confirmed by Senate (serve 4-year terms, can be reappointed); Supervises large staff of
Assistant U.S. Attorneys (who are appointed by Attorney General at the request of U.S.
Attorney)
State Prosecutor Hierarchy = State Attorney General Local-Level Prosecuting
Attorneys Assistant Local-Level Prosecuting Attorneys
State Attorney General
Chief legal officer of the state; Will direct prosecutions in
cases that involve statewide issues (i.e., consumer protection, environmental issues,
criminal activity within state government); Elected by voters
Local-Level Prosecutor (District Attorney, State’s Attore, Cooealth Attore,
Cout Attore…
Head of country-level (or municipal-leel proseutor’s offie
(over 2,000 within the U.S.); Vast majority of prosecutions in U.S. courts are handled at
this level; Elected in almost every state (unlike federal prosecutors); Supervises staff of
Assistant prosecutors, who are assigned individual cases for prosecution
Their decisions send a message to the community about which criminal activities are
worthy of attention and which are ignored; Prosecutors Dilemma
prosecutor is
expected to everything within reason to obtain a conviction but must also ensure that
justice is done, and the defedat’s rights are respeted! (he/she should always act in
good faith!
What are some of the important decisions prosecutors must make?
o Whether or not to prosecute What factors most commonly affect the decision
to not prosecute? Insufficient evidence, Witness problems (unreliability,
inaccessibility, etc.), I the iterest of justie to ot do so (might sympathize
with the accused), Due Process issues (questions regarding legality of police
search/interrogation, etc.), Accused is being prosecuted in another jurisdiction
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 11 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Related decision: filing a nolle prosequi
o We shall o loger proseute
o Decision to DIMISS or DISCONTINUE criminal charges after they have been filed
- No higher authority may force prosecutor to reinstate the charges
- Prosecutor eed’t proide a reaso
o Can happen any time between the initial filing of charges and either trial verdict
or guilty plea
If charges ARE filed, must decide: What specific charges to file and how many counts of
each charge; Whether to actively pursue plea bargain negotiations (or enter into
negotiations if approached by defense); What sentence to recommend upon conviction
o Prosecutors SHOULD be influenced by only a few factors:
- Has a crime been committed?
- Has the perpetrator been identified?
- Is there sufficient evidence to support a guilt verdict?
PROSECUTORS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE UNDULY INFLUENCED BY POLITICS AND
OUTSIDE PRESSURES
o Professional and ethical errors a prosecutor might make as a result of outside
ifluee ad pressure is…
- Charging suspects with more than what can be reasonably supported by the
evidence
- Being influenced by Desire to enhance their records of successful
convictions; Personal or political advantages of prosecuting (or not) a
particular case (prosecuting a popular figure might be politically damaging
and so might NOT prosecuting a very unpopular figure; Public opinion &
pressure (prosecuting simply because an inflamed public demands it)
o Many different factors might influence prosecutorial decision-akig… these
factors might affect:
- Proseutor’s deisio to file harges at all, or Severity of charges filed, or
Proseutor’s illingness to offer a plea agreement
Concerns regarding the victim:
o Are the motives of the alleged victim questionable? (would he/she have reason
to lie about incident?); Is the victim willing to cooperate with prosecution (very
diffiult to pursue a proseutio he star itess is a uillig partiipat;
Coers aout the iti’s elfare – would experiencing a trial be harmful?
Defense Attorneys: role is to provide best possible legal counsel & advocacy within the legal
and ethical limits of the profession
6th amendment I all riial proseutios, the aused shall ejo the right… to
hae the assistae of ousel for his defese.
Defendants may waive their rights and represent themselves! A risk strateg…; Being
a defese attore is’t for eerod!!!
The realities of the defese attore’s jo…
o The public often distrusts & misunderstands defense attorneys
Unlock document

o Defense attorneys must interact constantly with clients whose lives & problems
are troubling
o Criminal practice may not pay as well as other areas of law
o Many lients ill e guilty and thisguilty knowledge” which brings its own set
of hallenges and frustrations…
Defending a guilty client? honesty, communication, & trust between attorney and
defendant is critical; BUT remember It is NOT the responsibility of the defense attorney
to prove client is innocent or to pass judget o cliet’s guilt or iocece!
Presumption of Innocence All persons charged with crimes are entitled to a
RIGOROUS defense; Defense attorney is expected to present a meaningful test of
proseutio’s ase
Attorney-Client Privilege: defense attorney cannot reveal content of communications
with client including admissions of criminal involvement; absolutely sacrosanct but
does NOT apply to future crimes that are being planned but have not yet taken place
(only previous actions!)
Defense lawyer absolutely CANNOT knowingly present false testimony (subornation of
perjury) So if defense attorney knows client is guilty best strategy is to avoid a trial
altogether and plead guilty; Ca’t put a guilt defedat o the stad at trial eause
he/she KNOWS defendant will have to lie!
What are the major responsibilities of defense attorneys?
o Defedat’s Adoate:
- Pretrial investigation skills; Obtain pretrial release; Engage in plea bargain
talks; Defend at trial & attempt to prevent a conviction serig liet’s
interests in jury selection, utilize effective defense strategy, aggressive cross-
examination of prosecution witnesses)
- Secure best sentence possible; Cultivate good working relationship with
prosecutors and judges; Sometimes conduct the appeal upon conviction
o Protet defedat’s ostitutioal rights at eer stage of the process
o Provide psychological and moral support to defendant
- Expected to provide reassurance but must also realistically prepare client for
the worst; Not all defense attorneys have the time to do this!
An effetie defense attorney… will seek to understand the facts of the case & the
ature of the proseutio’s eidee efore deidig the est ourse of atio for liet
o Discovery process & honest communication with client will help
o Defedat a alas rejet attore’s adie!
o For most criminal defendants, the best course of action is to avoid a trial and
enter a GUILTY PLEA
o Defense attorney must consider what is the most favorable course of action
for my client, given the circumstances?
To kids of dese attoreys…
o Priate pratie ounsel… hired by the accused to provide representation
Unlock document

Document Summary

Attorneys (who are appointed by attorney general at the request of u. s. Attorney: state prosecutor hierarchy = state attorney general local-level prosecuting. Cou(cid:374)t(cid:455) attor(cid:374)e(cid:455) (cid:895) head of country-level (or municipal-le(cid:448)el(cid:895) prose(cid:272)utor"s offi(cid:272)e (over 2,000 within the u. s. ); vast majority of prosecutions in u. s. courts are handled at this level; elected in almost every state (unlike federal prosecutors); supervises staff of. Insufficient evidence, witness problems (unreliability, inaccessibility, etc. ), i(cid:374) the (cid:862)i(cid:374)terest of justi(cid:272)e(cid:863) to (cid:374)ot do so (might sympathize with the accused), due process issues (questions regarding legality of police search/interrogation, etc. ), accused is being prosecuted in another jurisdiction: related decision: filing a nolle prosequi, (cid:862)we shall (cid:374)o lo(cid:374)ger prose(cid:272)ute(cid:863, decision to dimiss or discontinue criminal charges after they have been filed. No higher authority may force prosecutor to reinstate the charges. Prosecutor (cid:374)eed(cid:374)"t pro(cid:448)ide a reaso(cid:374: can happen any time between the initial filing of charges and either trial verdict or guilty plea.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers