Constructivism study guide.docx

4 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
PS-0061
Professor
Kelly Greenhill

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Constructivism
focuses on human awareness or consciousness
interests and identities of actors are changeable and socially constructed
ohow actors perceive themselves and the goals that they seek depends upon the context
reject strictly materialist focus, but don’t deny it
overarching assumption: individuals construct their own understanding of the world
actors and system are mutually constituted (actorssystem)
assumptions:
ostructures of human association are determined primarily by shared ideas and their social
context as opposed to material focus
ostates’ identities/interests are not structurally determined, but are produced by
interactions, institutions, norms, and cultures
oreality too is constructed and in a state of flux
oeffects of international anarchy are not determinate
Wendt, “Anarchy is what states make of it.”
what states want can and will change over time
identity and conflict/cooperation
onational interests are a function of a national identity
osources of identity are domestic
oconvergent national identity cooperation and peace
odivergent national identity conflict and war
ohistory of interactions critical in determining reactions of those within the collective
Wendt 3 cultures of anarchy
oHobbesian- no limit on aggression warfare
oLockean- may use violence to advance interests, but will not outright eliminate
oKantian- cooperation with like-minded states peace
“Anarchy is what states make of it.”=> perception of international system
actors and system are mutually constituted
focus on 3rd image analysis
Legro emergence of chemical weapons
ochemical weapons were used in WWI but not in WWII shows mutual change
in norms
Finnemore moral entrepreneurs: committed individuals who happen to be in the right place at the
right time to instill their beliefs in larger global structures
1st image focus
Orwell 3 characteristics of nationalism: the habit of identifying oneself with a single nation or
other unit, placing it beyond good or evil and recognizing no other duty than that of
advancing interest)
oobsession
oinstability
oindifference to reality
3 types of nationalism
opositive (ex: Zionism)—boosting energy
onegative (ex: anti-Semitism)—denigrating energy
otransferred (ex: pacifism)—energy towards something that doesn’t have an
immediate relation to self

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Constructivism • focuses on human awareness or consciousness • interests and identities of actors are changeable and socially constructed o how actors perceive themselves and the goals that they seek depends upon the context • reject strictly materialist focus, but don’t deny it • overarching assumption: individuals construct their own understanding of the world • actors and system are mutually constituted (actorssystem) • assumptions: o structures of human association are determined primarily by shared ideas and their social context as opposed to material focus o states’identities/interests are not structurally determined, but are produced by interactions, institutions, norms, and cultures o reality too is constructed and in a state of flux o effects of international anarchy are not determinate  Wendt, “Anarchy is what states make of it.” • what states want can and will change over time • identity and conflict/cooperation o national interests are a function of a national identity o sources of identity are domestic o convergent national identity cooperation and peace o divergent national identity conflict and war o history of interactions critical in determining reactions of those within the collective Wendt • 3 cultures of anarchy o Hobbesian- no limit on aggression warfare o Lockean- may use violence to advance interests, but will not outright eliminate o Kantian- cooperation with like-minded states peace • “Anarchy is what states make of it.”=> perception of international system • actors and system are mutually constituted • focus on 3 image analysis Legro • emergence of chemical weapons o chemical weapons were used in WWI but not in WWII shows mutual change in norms Finnemore • moral entrepreneurs: committed individuals who happen to be in the right place at the right time to instill their beliefs in larger global structures • 1 image focus Orwell • 3 characteristics of nationalism: the habit of identifying oneself with a single nation or other unit, placing it beyond good or evil and recognizing no other duty than that of advancing interest) o obsession o instability o indifference to reality • 3 types of nationalism o positive (ex: Zionism)—boosting energy o negative (ex: anti-Semitism)—denigrating energy o transferred (ex: pacifism)—energy towards something that doesn’t have an immediate relation to self • nationalism is not patriotism: devotion to a particular place/way of life which one believes to be the best in the world but has no intention to force it upon others Checkel • constructivism is a way of viewing actors’behavior • norms determine behavior, which determines the system (circle) Oye’s recommendations to foster cooperation 1. alter the payoff structure to encourage mutual cooperation over mutual defection through unilateral and bilateral strategies 2. extend shadow of future by making interactions iterated, encouraging diffuse rather than specific reciprocity, and codification of norms and creation of regimes 3. discourage cheating by heightening penalties for defection, instituting collective enforcement and instituting conditional reciprocity 4. increase transparency and increase information flows thereby lowering monetary and transaction costs and encouraging trust 5. rely o
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit