Premium

11 Pages

Department
Nutrition
Course Code
NTR 402
Professor
Melissa Genoveses

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 11 pages of the document.
Description
21. Nutrition Older Adults Conditions Interventions 1) The Importance of Nutrition a) Good nutrition can ameliorate effects of illness contribute to quality of life i) Quality of lifemeasure of life satisfaction on factors such as social contacts, economic security, functional status b) Outcome data on effectiveness of MNT (medical nutrition therapy) has resulted in Medicare reimbursements to people with diabetes and kidney disease for MNT services i) MNT: meeting with a dietitian c) Health related i) Diet impacts many chronic conditions ii) Leading causes of death for those 65: (1) Diet related (a) Heart disease (b) Cancer (2) Respiratory disease smoking related (3) Cerebrovascular disease (a) Affect nutrition intake (4) Alzheimers (5) Diabetes (a) Strong diet connection (b) Diet can improve quality of life (6) In Bold means related to diet and nutrition 2) Heart Disease a) Potentially reversible by adopting a healthy lifestyle b) Prevalence i) Varies by race and gender c) Risk factors i) Hypertension: >=14090 mmHg ii) High LD cholesterol >=130 mgdL iii) Diabetes iv) Race: African American d) Nutritional remedies i) Assertive treatment can modify the course of heart disease at any age. ii) Older adults may have more comorbid conditions. iii) Nutrition interventions are not inherently different for older or younger adults. iv) Diet Recommendations (1) Focus on diet rick in (a) Fruits (b) Vegetables (i) May be hard to chew (ii) Fibers are important for heart disease (c) Whole grains (d) Fish (e) Low fat dairy (f) Lean poultry (g) Nuts and legumes
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit