Psychology
Course
PSY 101
Professor
Professor Berg
Semester
Spring

Description
 PS      Y      101             u      i      d      e              1      ­‐   What   i sychology?                       n       c     l       t   s  nd   ey   c omponents  o  f  t  opic   ( often  i  n   i talics)     • Psychology­The scientific study of the behavior of individuals and their mental processes  • Scientific Method­set of procedures for gathering and interpreting objective information in a  way that minimizes error  • Behavior­actions by which an organism adjusts or responds to its environment • Mental processes­workings of the mind playing a role in behavior o Thinking planning and reasoning • Behavioral Data­reports of observations about behavior                     o    r           i     rmal    esearch   l abs?     • Wilhelm Wundt had the first formal experimental psychology lab with scientific  technique  • G. Stanley Haal­ first American psychology lab and founded APA >    Who    ere   t he   f ounder  f   ell­‐known    sychological   a ssociations? • G. Stanley Haal­ first American psychology lab and founded APA                   n             r     t    ’   t ha  ere   iscussed   a nd   t h   ain    ays  t  hat   t hey   d iffer     •  Psycho­dynamic Perspective ­behavior explained by inherited instincts, biological  drive, and attempt to resolve conflicts o Focused on the unconscious o Main Purpose: Reduce tension linked to:  Deprivation­Food, social life, etc.  Physiological Arousal­Body Tired/stressed and conflicts arise  from variance between personal needs and societal demands  (education, work, rights) o Sigmund Freud ▯ Developed psychodynamic model explaining principles  of Motivation  Human nature driven by unconscious motives  o Weakness: Difficult to measure, replicate, can be misinterpreted or out of  context  •  Behaviorist Perspective:  Concerned with observable behavior that can be  objectively recorded • Interested in relationships between behavior and environment  •  Analyze:  antecedent or environmental conditions involved o  Behavioral  responses or action o Consequences/Outcomes • Criticisms: Doesn’t account for internal effects of individual (anxiety affecting  decisions)  o Doesn’t account for degree to which behaviors are a result of choice  manipulations (a forced choice is still a choice) •  Biological Perspective : Focused on genes, brain, nervous and endocrine system o Explained in terms of underlying physical structures and biochemical  processes  o Because 2 Subfields:   Behavioral Neuroscience­ Uses sensation/ language and emotion  Cognitive Neuroscience: Uses memory and language  •  Evolutionary Perspective:  Focuses on adaptations  o Attempts to connect field of psychology to a central component of life  sciences  o Charles Darwin▯Natural selection  Best adapted reproduce and survive  •  Sociocultural Perspective:   Focuses on cross­cultural differences in causes and  consequence of behavior  o Challenge to generalizations that ignore the influence of cultural  differences  •  Cognitive Perspective:  Human thought and the process of knowing o Behavior and thought are conjoined  o Thoughts are both the result and cause of overt action or behavior       ­‐   Methods                       y        s      .      r         • Theory: an organized set of concepts that explain a phenomena  • Hypothesis: a tentative and testable statement about facts and outcomes▯testable                  i                                       • Experimenter motives and expectations distort evidence it is OBSERVER BIAS: a challenge to objectivity  (Impossible to ask questions without bias but must be conscious of it)   Can be minimized by Standardization­generate consistency by using uniform procedure  Uniformity should characterize the whole study                              s                           • A stimulus that affects behavior BUT NOT purposely manipulated                     r i  l      a       t           • Used to demonstrate cause and affect relationships                                 t   r     l       ependent   v ariable     • Independent: Manipulated o IF Cause and effect relationship is correct ▯ this is the cause o This is what is changed to compare results  • Dependent: Measured • The EFFECT in a cause and effect relationship o Measure before and after IV manipulation to asses change                   l   e                              • A behavioral response influenced by what the participant expects to be the outcome                        r         l      i  s   s.   c orrelational  tudies     • Experimental: use methods called control procedures to hold constant all variables expect that which are  being manipulated  o Double Blind Control: all parties blind to the conditions of the study  o Advantages: allow researchers to make strong claims about CASUAL RELATIONSHIPS   Can easily be controlled  o Disadvantages: Participants know they’re being observed▯cause bias  o Ethical standards  • Correlational Methods: Variable relationships that can’t be manipulated o Determined by +­ Correlational Coefficient (closer to 1 stronger the correlation)  Use weak and strong correlations as well as positive or negative  o Advantages: Investigated using NATURAL occurrence of events  Allows analyzing of variables that can’t be manipulated in lab  People don’t know they’re being watched  o Disadvantages: Correlation DOES NOT equal causation o Many confounding factors  o Provide limited conclusions                     l ‐r  e  p  o  r t                           • Can’t be observed▯internal psychological state o Verbal responses to questions in questionnaire or interview  o Advantages: can investigate psychological states that can’t be tested in lab  Participant’s own observation and reports  o Disadvantages: Can’t be done with certain subjects (babies, animals)  May not be reliable or valid may not be useful (Misinterpret/Lie)  Questioner Bias                     p  e  t      l    f    i           Standardization­generate consistency by using uniform procedure • Uniformity should characterize the whole study   Operationalization: Standardizing meaning of concepts   Variable: any factor that changes in amount or kind ▯ used to observe cause and effect  relationships (see above for Independent and dependent)                        t   l      c  e   r  s             • Hold constant all variables except IV o Double Blind study: all parties blind to the conditions o Placebo Control: an additional experimental condition in which the IV is to have no treatment                      i      ­     j  c  t    s    e  t ween­‐subjects   d esigns     • Within Subjects: act as own control  o Advantages: allow researchers to make strong claims about CASUAL RELATIONSHIPS  o Can be easily controlled  • Between: use controlled experiments with participants assigned to either experimental or control group  o Can use random assignment to eliminate confounds  o Makes generalizations about a population from the sample taken o Disadvantages: Participant bias and ethical standards                      a t    l   t          r   t                               l   i      s .   l    i l          • Constant dependable data from experiments is RELIABLE o Can reproduce on similar conditions • Testing accurately measures the variable that is has been designed to measure makes it VALID                     e     a       i   l          r s   i n ehavioral   a nd   a  nimal  r   esearch     • Should it 
More Less

Related notes for PSY 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit