BSCI 440 Midterm: Midterm 3 - Study Guide

60 views34 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to renal physiology (lecture 26: functions of the kidney(salt and water balance/fluid and electrolyte balance) i. (1)regulation of volumes and osmolarities of fluids, extracellular fluid volume is proportional to blood pressure, blood osmolarity maintained at a value close to 290 mosm. ii. (2)regulation of ion concentrations and ph. *dont correct ph disturbances as rapidly as the lungs iii. iv. (3)excretion of wastes and foreign substances (decontamination: urobilinogen gives urine its characteristic yellow color (4)production of hormones renin for sodium balance and blood pressure homoeostasis. You must lose nearly of kidney function before homeostasis begins to be affected: urinary system (anatomical highlights) i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. From the bladder urine is discharged via the urethra: through the process known as micturition or urination, uti"s are more prevalent in females because their urethra is shorter in length and bacterial infections happen more frequently there. vii. viii. ix. i. ii, vascular elements of kidney function.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers