Study Guides (234,318)
United States (117,716)
Biology (53)
BIL 150 (15)
Study Guide

[BIL 150] - Midterm Exam Guide - Everything you need to kno..
[BIL 150] - Midterm Exam Guide - Everything you need to know! (60 pages long)

60 Pages
Unlock Document

School
University of Miami
Department
Biology
Course
BIL 150
Professor
Michael Gaines
Semester
Fall

Description
[BIL 150] Comprehensive Midterm Exam guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com Chapter 1 1. Biology a. The scientific study of life 2. Biosphere a. Can see signs of all life on earth 3. Ecosystems a. Consists of all components of the environment with which life interacts 4. Communities a. The array of organisms inhabiting a particular ecosystem 5. Population a. Consists of all the individuals of a species living with the bounds of a specified area i. Therefore a community is the set of populations that inhabit a particular area 6. Organisms a. Individual, living systems i. Organ a body part that carries out a particular function in the body ii. Consists of multiple tissues b. Organ systems i. A team of organs that cooperate in a larger function 7. Tissues a. Group of cells that work together a performer a specialized function 8. Cells a. Fundamental unit of structure and function 9. Organelles a. Chloroplasts b. The various functional components taken by a powerful microscope in cells 10. Molecules a. Chemical structure consisting of two or more atoms 11. Reductionism a. Reduces complex systems to simpler components that are more manageable to study 12. Emergent Properties a. Can’t see all on the reductionist level b. Due to the arrangement and interaction of parts as complexity increases c. A reductionist approach to biology causes a lack of a number of significant properties the merge at higher levels of organization d. Emergent properties are not unique to life 13. Systems biology a. Approach that attempts to model the dynamic behavior of a whole biological system 14. Structure and Function a. Form follow function 15. Three Domains a. Bacteria b. Archaea c. Eukaryote 16. Hypothesis find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less

Related notes for BIL 150

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit